The Mandalorian Season 3 [Open Spoilers]

One thread per season seems to work out.
Open spoilers after the episode drops
Episodes start March 1, 2023
Official Trailer: The Mandalorian | Season 3 Official Trailer | Disney+ - YouTube

Guess we will see him try to find the living waters, but I’d rather he find his own way between “orthodox” (the Armorer) and “reform” (Bo-Katan)

Brian

Is it too soon to open the season 4 thread?

My expectation is that he will do exactly that, and in fact it will likely be the main theme of this season.

The season opener was great! Especially liked the 20 minutes spent on Boba training his rancor how to use a litter box.

It’s embarrassing to ask, but I simply don’t remember and I don’t want to go looking for the answer and stumble across a big reveal for season three before it even starts.

Does Grogu have any relationship with Yoda, other than being the same race? Are all of of their race capable of using the Force, or are Yoda and Grogu rarities?

Not that we know of.

Again, not that we know of. There are only three Yoda-species individuals in canon - Yoda, Grogu, and Yaddle from The Phantom Menace, and all of them are strong in the Force, but we have no idea if they’re outliers or if their species is inherently Force-sensitive. We don’t even know the name of the species yet - there’s some speculation that they’re the Whills, as in the “Journal of the Whills” that the Star Wars saga is supposedly taken from, or the “Guardians of the Whills”, the monastic order that Chirrut Imwe from Rogue One was a member of, but that’s never been canonically addressed.

Thanks, @Smapti. At least I remembered the first part correctly.

This I don’t remember at all, but I gave up really early on the prequels. I didn’t even bother to watch the last two.

I’m with you so far.

I remember Chirrut but I don’t remember anything about the Guardians of the Whills or Whills at all. Where does “Journal of the Whills” come from? Is it (book) canon that Star Wars is taken from the Journal?

Actually, it is used in the very first bit of the very first bit of Star Wars media–the prologue of the novelization of SWANH, published in 1976.

Geez, can’t believe I didn’t remember something I read forty years ago. :slightly_frowning_face: So it’s definitely canon, no? Is there a site I can see what is considered canon for Star Wars? All those books would have to have been closely edited before release to avoid contradictions with past books and movies that were already in the works. Is Wookiepedia considered a good source?

OT: It seems like I can remember the exact moment young me found that book. I remember the store, the layout, the twin brothers that owned the store that recommended it to me. I was intrigued just by the cover, but the photo inserts from the movie won me over. Man, makes me feel old.

Canon in Star Wars is, to paraphrase Yoda, always in motion. What used to be considered purely canonical were the theatrically released movies only. Not even the novelizations of said movies were canon, as they were based on early drafts of the screenplays. Then the tiers of canonicity went from there to the novels that were written in between the original trilogy and the prequels getting released, then down to the comics and video games and sundry stuff like cartoons, toys, and the RPG game. When we were living in the time of no expectation of any future movie content, those were only considered semi-canonical for fan’s purposes of discussion and argument. They were all iffy, contradictory, and sometimes downright nonsense, but each had a few elements that seemed worthy of discussion, and they all were establishing a timeline of events that were consistent, up to a point.

Then George released the Prequels, and whole swathes of the novels and comics were instantly obsolete as they overwrote certain character histories, firmly explained historic events, and introduced concepts that hadn’t even been considered.

Then Disney bought Star Wars and the rest of the novels and comics were deemed obsolete, now termed Star Wars Legends.

Now, with these TV series, the ability to establish new canon is in the hands of other creators, and the stories are unfolding in a similar way the Legends novels and comics used to do; smaller stories about characters, rather than large galactic events. But they are plucking characters and plots from those Legends stories as well. Things like the Dark Troopers, Grand Admiral Thrawn, or the Dark Saber are all drawn from questionably canonical sources of the past, now re-established as definite canon now.

So, @mordecaiB, that you are lost by all of this is not only forgiveable, it’s kind of expected. It’s a jumble, and is unlikely to make sense to most people for a long while yet. The nerds are here to answer your questions, and no judgement will be passed if you’re confused by any of it. My advice is not to get too worked up, and just enjoy the ride.

What a kind, cogent and considerate response. I love The Dope.
Thanks GuanoLad - I appreciated your answer despite not asking the question.

MiM

Thanks for the great explanation @GuanoLad!

I’d wondered about that. It actually seems like a good move to me.

Good advice, which I intend to follow. :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks again for the great reply!

No problem, everyone.

The Manadalorian S3 starts today, in my timezone, and I cannot wait! Hope they don’t dump too much confusing Clone Wars and Rebels stuff on you all.

As far as films go, Yaddle only appeared in Episode I; she was a member of the Jedi Council, but I’m not sure that she even had a line of dialogue.

Wookieepedia is generally pretty good; as has been noted, when Disney bought Lucasfilm, they “de-canonized” a lot of content (from novels, RPGs, video games, comic books, etc.) that had previously been considered to be “B-level” canon by Lucasfilm (i.e., it was canon, unless and until it was superseded or contradicted by content in a film).

Most pages on Wookieepedia have two tabs: “Canon” and “Legends”; the Canon tab usually will solely contain material which comes from sources that Disney now considers to be canonical (the films, the TV series, more recent comic books and novels); the “Legends” tab mostly contains things from the older, de-canonized sources.

Upside down continent bastard! I have to wait until midnight plus one until I can see it. :slightly_frowning_face: So looking forward to this. I really loved the first two seasons. The only small gripe I have, and it is a small gripe, is I wished they wouldn’t have shown his face in the cafeteria scene. I would have liked for him to go unseen for the whole series. Don’t ask me why.

Did she get killed in one of the books/cartoons or was it off-stage, so to speak?

Thanks for that, I didn’t notice that until you mentioned it.

Now I learn that Christopher Lee was in the prequels. A pretty big name role. too.

Looks like she was killed by Dooku in an episode of Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, a series of animated shorts which premiered on Disney+ last year. I’m not sure if it had been detailed in another source prior to that.

Not exactly a glorious death. Should be cued to the right spot.

Thank you for the yaddle info.

This episode was… OK. A bit on the short side, and the whole thing with the space pirates seemed like a contrived way to add conflict to a story that didn’t really have any. They wrote Gina Carano out as having been drafted by Republic Special Forces between seasons (as expected), and Sasha Banks is out with Bo-Katan’s forces having abandoned her (which I didn’t expect).

What really stood out for me in this episode was the use of practical effects - the prosthetics on the space pirates and on Gorian Shard looked amazing, and IG-11 and the bite-sized droidsmiths looked to be stop-motion that reminded me of ED-209 from Robocop. I got a laugh out of Greef (who’s really leaning into that “High Magistrate” thing) attempting to “translate” the droidsmiths’ heavily accented Basic, as well as Grogu spinning around in his desk chair and using Force telekinesis to steal from his candy dish.

Not sure where the Armorer found a whole new clan of Children of the Watch to join up with, but they probably shouldn’t be holding their baptisms in a lake infested with giant space crocodiles that are immune to small arms.