The Matrix and Reality (spoilers)

I’m putting this here because, even though it’s a question about the movie, it’s a Great Debate-type topic.

In the Matrix, Keanu Reeves finds out that instead of it being the present, as he always thought it was, he’s really in the future, and he, like the rest of humanity, is hooked up to a computer that makes him think he lives in the present, while in reality it’s stealing his precious bodily fluids…err, using his electrical fields.

My question is, why is this bad? I mean, everything Keanu has experienced has been 20th century experiences. As far as he can tell, he is in the 20th century. So why is there even a problem?

Because it takes away the people’s free will. They don’t have the option of whether or not to hook themselves up to a machine where they’re converted to batteries while having a false life pumped into their brains. It’s just done to them. That shit just ain’t right.

Jeff

It’s not “Keanu Reeves finds out that instead of it being the present, as he always thought it was, he’s really in the future”

it is in fact “Keanu Reeves finds out that instead of it being 1999, as he always thought it was, he’s really in the present, about 2099”

there’s no such thing as living in the future. It is the future from our perspective, but not his.

Because everyone, including neo, has this niggling feeling that things aren’t real while they are in the matrix. They dismiss it, but it lowers their quality of life.
the liberation of leaving the matrix is considered worth it by some (but not by others, such as the guy who, you know, wanted to get back in)

Thats Cypher.

I think its bad in a broader sense as well. Set 200 years back with the machines having the ability to manipulate things at will can really set the human race back technologically you know. Some would argue that the machines were keeping the humans alive in a barren desolate world, but some of the intangible aspects of freedom were being taken away.

Well, if people have a niggling sense that the Matrix is not reality it can’t be a totally convincing simulation.
Cheap knock-off software, I expect.
After all we live in a totally convincing simulation and nobody ever suspects…
do they?

Some people do, apparently…

Procreation is just as evil. Children don’t have the option whether or not to be born and suffer pain, cold, hunger, sorrow, heartbreak, loss, fear, sickness and eventual death. It’s just done to them. That shit just ain’t right.

To Captain Amazing: Why it’s so bad? It isn’t, I’d say.

Well, Priceguy, I’d agree with you. It seems like, and lets assume we have a perfect simulation, so that no one has any way of knowing they are in a simulation, that simulation becomes, in itself, reality. So, the Matrix people don’t have any fewer choices than we do.