The Mayorkas Impeachment

It seems that the House has decided to proceed with the impeachment of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4561860-house-mayorkas-impeachment-charges-senate/

Here is the text of the impeachment measure that was passed:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-resolution/863/text

I note this entry:

Which is such an extreme rise that we have to assume pressures on both supply and demand, implying that both of the following must be true:

1. The US has become a more desirable place to get to in 2022, versus 2018, thereby more customers.
  2. The difficulty of entering the US has risen in 2022, versus 2018, necessitating higher prices.

Only the latter seems attributable to Mayorkas and not in an impeachable way.

The rest, so far as I’ve seen, are all aspects of resourcing in the DHS or avoiding other laws on humane treatment. If you legislate that a person must be able to nudge the Sun in any direction desired, impeaching them for failing to do so isn’t really reasonable.

I assume that the Republicans are scrambling for a way to show their voters that they are doing “something” and realized the danger of impeaching Biden over nothing, and are instead picking a safer target. I don’t expect this to be more than a way to generate headlines and will fizzle out. It will probably also backfire as well, but in a much lesser way than it would if they had tried to impeach Biden.

I expect that the logic is that, either:

1. The Democratic Senate takes up the impeachment and, during election season, the Republicans can use it as a headline maker for keeping the border and immigration on peoples’ minds.
  2. The Democratic Senate pushes it off and the Republicans can slam them for endorsing illegality, aiding human smugglers, etc.

I’d probably vote that the best move for Schumer would be to accept it and use it as a vehicle to go over all of the fixes to the current legislation that were introduced in the immigration reform bill that the House torched, while keeping a quick schedule that gets it over with well before election season.

Here’s an idea. The Democratic Senate takes up the impeachment and uses the hearing to expose what a sham it is and how ill suited for governing the House Republicans are. Turn it around on them and make them regret they even tried this bullshit.

LOL, Johnson named MTG as one of the impeachment managers for the House.

How about Senate Democrats treat the Mayorkas impeachment like Republicans treated Trump’s insurrection impeachment? House managers get two days to present their case and the byebye vote can follow shortly thereafter.

I like it. Have Schiff and Swallwell et.al. present the defense. It will not be a clash of the titans.

I think they should do this to show the “undecided” voters exactly how shit the GOP is, but there’s no way Empty G et al. will ever “regret” trying it. They’ll regret not succeeding, but they’ll never regret trying, and they’ll try again as soon as they see a chance.

She’s not a bad choice. The impeachment trial isn’t about presenting evidence and reasoning, its about bigotry, innuendo, conspiracy theory, wild accusations, and making a big enough stink to distract the media from what is going on with Trumps court cases, and to turn impeachment into a joke, so that Trumps impeachments don’t seem to bad.

A more seasoned prosecutor might recognize that their arguments are easily dismissed gibberish and so subconsciously censor themselves. Not so Ms. Greene.

The Senate wants a full trial, and is willing to procedurally hold its breath until they’re blue in the face to get it.

I agree with those who want the Senate to actually hold the trial. Yes, it’s stupid and partisan and a waste of time.

But there are downsides to dismissing it out of hand: the ubiquitous “setting precedent” that is decried by all and sundry; giving the R’s ammo to cry that there a cover up, the Dems are afraid to let America hear the evidence, etc.; and giving up the opportunity to show America how stupid, partisan, and a waste of time it actually is while blaming (loudly and vociferously) the do-nothing Republican House majority for forcing this dog and pony show when there are many MUCH more important matters they could be working on.

Then demand an immediate vote on the border bill they abandoned last month when trump pissed all over it, because it will ameliorate a lot of the problems they’re whining about.

They’re quite capable of going through the motions and then refusing the bill, of course.

I think my problem is that I don’t believe the Republicans give a damn about precedence except when it’s convenient for them to do so. They’re crying crocodile tears about the system being subverted while simultaeously subverting the system for their own ends.

From the Lincoln Project

I don’t know if you noticed, but a couple of years back that precedent was well and truly set. Not that I think the Democrats should do the same, but still.

I’m not remembering an impeachment in the House being dismissed without a trial in the Senate, though i think they did try to table it.

The trial happened in theory, but the GOP Senators voted to move straight to the vote on the verdict without hearing any witnesses or having any evidence presented.

Right you are. In my mind the whole January 6th Commission hearings were the evidence being presented, but that definitely wasn’t part of the “trial”.

Senate has killed one of the articles of impeachment.

Notably, centrist Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska voted “present” a sign of discontent with the impeachment effort but for some reason not deciding to vote no.

Raise your hand if you’re shocked.

These are the articles:

• Article I: Willful and systemic refusal to comply with the law
  • Article II: Breach of public trust

article 1 is out now.