The McMichael/Bryan trial

Why did he testify?

He musta thunk he could talk his way out of it.

Stupid people gonna stupid.

Because he thought that he was in the right and who would disagree with his choice to kill the ni**er now rather than wait until the non-existent at that time house was violated again by a person with that skin color.

The racists are all-in on their racism:

Possibly because he thought he was right. Most likely because while the defendant taking the stand is rare, in self defense cases it is much more likely. Since the biggest component to the defense is if his fear of death or serious bodily injury was reasonable, sometimes the only way to attempt to show that is if the defendant testifies. As always when the defendant testifies it’s a gamble when he has to go through cross examination.

Can these guys still get convicted of felony murder, even if one of their self-defense claims works? My understanding of felony murder is that you can be convicted of that if you’re committing a felony when someone is killed – for example, I think you can be convicted of that if you’re robbing a bank and a cop kills a teller when trying to stop you.

In this case, they were charged with multiple felonies – false imprisonment and others, right?

There was a case I remember reading about some years ago: Robber robs bank. Cops kill robber as he exits bank. Cops believe robber and his wife had conspired to rob bank. Cops go to robber’s home and arrest wife, charge her with felony murder. (I don’t know how that case ended up.)

I remember a felony murder case from several years ago.

A young woman was jealous because her boyfriend was seeing another woman. She set a piece of outdoor furniture on fire outside of his home, with the intention of disrupting their romantic evening. The fire got out of hand, someone was killed and, IIRC, she was convicted of felony murder.

I think felony murder applies in the Arbery case, and that’s why they are pushing so hard on the idea that this was a legitimate citizens arrest. Because if they were trying to detain him unlawfully, that’s kidnapping, which I believe is a felony.

Closing arguments now:

the last defence attorney is… something else. this is the lawyer that keeps asking for a mistrial, possibly asked for a plea deal, and now seems to suggest that his client is too simple to have conspired. his client alternately looks on the verge of tears or confusion over what his lawyer is saying. i’m not sure what this lawyer is on about.

THIS case seems much more important than the KR case, since it’s race all the way. If they’re not convicted, expect country-wide protests. I really hope the jury has common sense. From all the video, it really should be obvious.

The judge’s instructions clearly defined “Citizen’s Arrest” and why it didn’t apply in this case. I hope the jury listened.

My prediction? Not guilty, self defense.

Prosecutor says no self-defense argument:

Defense attorney impugns victim for having long dirty toe-nails! Defendant must be acquitted!

Defense attorney was scum. “He had no lawful reason to be there!” Well, there was no lawful reason for him not to be there. “He had khaki shorts! He had no socks! He had long dirty toenails!” If sartorial faux pas are reasons to kill someone, let’s go get Steve Bannon. Jesus.

I assumed this was hyperbole, but when it came up two posts in a row, I had to check. Nope, it’s real. wept.

yep. as mr arbery was wearing sneakers at the time, she was quoting the autopsy report. mr arbery’s mother stumbled out of the courtroom at that point.

Reminding the jury about slaves and their lack of hygiene, I assume? I mean, why the fuck–
@rocking_chair That’s what I thought. I mean, he’s jogging at the time, where the fuck is she getting that from?

IMHO becasue they have a weak defense case and are going for the Hail Mary.

You really have to look at the statutes in each state and how they are written. Kidnapping may not apply. For instance my state has criminal restraint, false imprisonment and kidnapping. Each has different elements and the grading is much different. This came up during the O.J. trial. The one where he was convicted. He was charged with kidnapping in Nevada and I remember thinking at the time that if it happened in my state it would have been a misdemeanor criminal restraint charge.