The McMichael/Bryan trial

Well yeah - creating and sharing the video was an attempt to pull a Zimmerman. To make the argument that no, they did not just up and went after some random person and killed him in ambush for the lulz, but rather they confronted someone they thought suspicious and only used deadly force when the person fought back.

Oh, isn’t this cute! The Travis and Gregory McMichael pair convicted in this trial:

But then we have this:

It’s in relation to this:

Almost identical father and son, working together, with almost identical facial fungus. And the son’s name is also Travis! Ain’t it sweet?
:roll_eyes:

I hate to be that guy, but these guys might be innocent. Hell, the DA hasn’t even released an explanation as to how they supposedly started the fires.

I know it’s easy to drift into an “All Cats Are Grey” mentality, but judging these guys because they happen to look like two convicted father-and-son murderers is the same sort of bigotry that led to those same murderers to kill a black man because “he was where he weren’t supposed to be, so he had to be doing something illegal, so…”

True enough. If I was on a jury making judgments about these guys, I would conscientiously consider only the facts and apply them only as the law intended. But as a poster on a message board, I think I have the leeway to have some fun! You gotta admit, it’s a rather remarkable resemblance! :wink:

What? Hardly.

I mean… no? Those two sets of photos don’t look remotely similar to each other, except in the broadest, “They’re both mugshots of white men,” sense.

Gregory and Travis McMichael -life w/out possibility of parole.
Bryan - life with the possibility of parole.

Random link:

Sentences have been handed down. Life plus twenty for both mcmichaels, no parole. Bryan life with possibility of parole.

The judge gave a very good explanation of his sentencing.

Agreed. My audio cut out for part of the Bryan sentencing, but in general I thought he was fairly thoughtful and clear about his thinking. I can’t really find too much fault with his decision.

Waiting for a formal submission by the state, but I imagine their request that the convicted be denied any ability to profit off the story of this trial/murder will be upheld.

The judge highlighted the fear and pain Ahmaud Arbey might have felt running for over 4 minutes and that neither Gregory and Travis McMichael have shown any remorse for their actions.

He said that while he understands that people on trial might not be in a position give an apology, but he was disturbed even by the callousness of turning their back and walking away from Arbey as he lay dying moments after shooting him.

I was a bit surprised by the severity of the sentences – not that they didn’t deserve it – but it turns out that life imprisonment is the minimum sentence under Georgia law for felony murder. So the judge actually had discretion only on the matter of parole eligibility, which doesn’t happen for 30 years. Both McMichaels also face federal hate crime charges. None of the three are likely to ever see the outside of a prison.

(bolding mine)

I must have missed that in the jury’s decision to convict these men of felony murder.

What I find really interesting was that Greg McMichael had let his certification as an investigator lapse 2006-2014 rendering him unqualified to work in the DA’s office, but they simply renamed his title so he could continue to work and draw retirement benefits. Jeez.

What employer would do that for you PLUS risk going to jail by covering up your murder?

From what I have read one of the issues was neither McMichael ever showed a shred of remorse along with their callous indifference just after they shot Arbery. Added to that (and I did not realize this) apparently the whole chase thing took five minutes. That may not sound like a lot but it really is…especially if you are the one being chased. It shows this was not a momentary lapse of reason but a hunt.

It is worth noting that, according to this article, while Bryan is eligible for parole under Georgia law he will not be eligible for 30 years so, while he got a more lenient sentence, it won’t amount to much for him (he is 52 now). The McMichaels will never get out of prison.

The judge did a superb job of stating his reasoning for the sentences, effectively appeal-proofing the case on that basis, anyway.

He also made it clear that the vigilantism aspect of the defendants’ behavior disturbed him greatly. By imposing such harsh sentences, I believe he was doing his utmost to deter such behavior in the future.

The sentences follow pretty much automatically from the verdicts, which included multiple felony murder convictions for each of the three. The McMichaels are, however, appealing the verdict itself. Their chances of a successful appeal are basically zero, particularly since the judge seemed to run the trial with impressively even-handed competence.

They do. The judge had a little discretion and chose the harsher route by imposing the 20 year terms on both McMichaels consecutive rather than concurrent. He also could have imposed the 5-year terms consecutive and chose to run those concurrent. (I’m working from memory here, but I think I have the terms correct.) That was about all the “leniency” he gave them. Which is to say… not much.

I’m glad. I thought he was a splendid judge and one for whom I would have been proud to work.

ETA: He did also have discretion to impose the sentences with or without the possibility of parole, and again took the harsher route for the McMichaels. Correctly, I feel.

I couldn’t find video of the sentencing on CNN; the various stories related to it mostly seem to have a video of Arbery’s mother’s impact statement. For those interested, here is what looks to be the complete video:

For the sake of accuracy, I believe I erred in saying that all three defendants were convicted of felony murder. The senior McMichael and Bryan were. Travis McMichael was acquitted of felony murder, but convicted of the more serious charge of malice murder (although both carry life sentences) similar to what other jurisdictions call first-degree murder. In any case, both McMichaels got the book thrown at them; Bryan technically has a chance of parole but at his age that doesn’t mean much.

From the linked article:

Yeah, I think they got the punishment they deserved.