"The meek shall inherit the earth"

I think conditions on earth are rapidly moving in this direction. If 2 heads are better than one then 10 million heads have to be a lot better. I interpret meek as without ego or very low in ego. I see social media as being well into an impending crisis that will slowly yield to new ways of communicating. I feel like the less egotistical individuals will best survive this crisis and emerge as a dominant voice. The content will start changing and large numbers of people will be exposed to new things, new opportunities to find things that just seem to feel natural for them. This new group will have real substance and offer an opportunity to become a valued member of that. This could quickly gain momentum once it got past critical mass.

Not sure why this was removed from Great Debates

Maybe because there’s no debate? OP reads like one of my posts when I’ve been over consuming the green.

Great Debates requires a Debate be framed. One you wrote is one rambling paragraph. You don’t even appear to be asking for opinions, so MPSIMS is the best forum for this style of post.

If it looks like a blog style post, we’ll generally move it to MPSIMS or even close the thread.

“Oh, it’s the meek! ‘Blessed are the meek!’ Oh that’s nice, isn’t it? I’m glad they’re getting something because they have a hell of a time.”

That does not sound like any sort of social media I’m familiar with

This was going to be my maiden voyage into the debating world. I have no experience debating. I thought I simply made a statement and then my statement would be challenged.

“… if that’s OK with you.”

If you want to start a Debate; start with a debatable question and support your side in the OP. If it lends itself to it provide some cites also.

We reject threads from GD all the time.

Oh, you want a debate. I thought you wanted an argument. You want room 12A, just along the corridor.

I’m Meek.

Dang I’m finally gonna strike it rich. Whoo-hoo!!

I’ll be sunnin’ on a Greek island before you know it😊

“They say the meek shall inherit,
You know the Book doesn’t lie.
It’s not a question of merit,
But of demand and supply.”

“The meek shall inherit the earth.”

I’m glad they’re getting something, 'cause they have a hell of a time .

It isa not about the Bible, more about philosophy and human nature. I think social media more closely resembles a tribe that we may have evolved from. And has the capacity to to replace some of the things we mnay be missing from tribal living.

Okay, honoring the OP’s intent for a debate - I think you’re 180 in the wrong direction. I think that most people find life incredibly complicated, and that analyzing and understanding themselves, much less others takes too much effort. Thus it’s easy to seize upon something, anything, that makes sense to you at a moment, be it religion, politics, SovCit philosophy or the like, and then use that framework to determine everything.

Which means that people who are capable of manipulating those frameworks, who tend to be anything BUT meek, end up controlling huge swaths of people who have bought into the philosophy.

This often the case for people who have minimal or no self-identity outside their group, tying into your definition of low or no ego based on their own accomplishments or understandings.

Now if you mean low or no ego in the more traditional sense of meek:

meek

adjective

ˈmēk

Synonyms of meek

: enduring injury with patience and without resentment : MILD

I think it even less likely. Those aren’t the ones posting to social media. They may be absorbing it, but the PTB are almost always driven by the passionate fringe who refuse to bear with it, because they’re again more likely to get those more passive sorts to act in a way that affects said powers bottom line whether it be financial or political.

If anything, trends seem to show that the results you’re hoping for are going the opposite way. Trends such as pro-democracy, pro-freedom groups indeed have made great use of social media platforms to get the word out, to organize protests, even uprisings.

And the PTB then cut off the communication, beat down or kill the protestors, and further reduce any efforts to improve communication for the sake of peace, while the meek just put their heads down further to get along.

Yes. @ParallelLines nailed it The meek shall inherit the consumption of social media aimed at them by the decided non-meek who run the world.

If those meek are stupid enough to believe that the BS they’re absorbing hook, line, and sinker are the whole and true story, then they’ll be even more misled.

If, by “meek”, you mean “passive-aggressive ###holes”, then they may very well inherit the earth.

If you use the dictionary definition of “meek”, I doubt it.

I don’t believe it will happen at a conscious effort, I believe it will happen by default. Going back to the tribal community. I would assume it was important that a member of the tribe had some status. He would attain this status by becoming good at something that the tribe valued. The tribe was a small place so there was not much competition. They also had far fewer areas that they were able to distinguish themselves in. Individuals who are passionate about something tend to operate at a much higher level regardless of IQ. Things happen to a person when they have found a source of self-actualization. They become very loyal to the group and much more malleable in the way they interact with others. The source just happens to be their tribe which could also be a social media group. One of the biggest hurdles I know of is supplying enough opportunities for people to distinguish themselves. Exposure to a much wider variety of things to a much larger group would be the key. Social positions that formerly had little value could suddenly become very valuable. Such as not only good content producers but those who can simply identify and distribute good content with exposing others to new things in mind. Advocates could be another valuable position, those who simply recognize the good in Somone’s thoughts and support them to some degree. The framework and implementation wouldn’t be that difficult, Introducing it to a public that may or may not be ready for it would be the #1 challenge.

Blessed are the cheesemakers?!

I appreciate your hopeful nature, but I see zero evidence that’s how it’s worked up until now.

Who has the most influence on social media? Entertainers, sport stars, shock jocks, gross-out artists, people who create their own followings. Self-actualization sorts can and do have their followings, but they tend to be much Much smaller and drowned out by virtue of large numbers.

Plus, as our many threads on Social media show, it’s ANYTHING but a natural process for people to make themselves known. It’s a profit driven industry, clicks clicks clicks. And outrage, scandal, division and anger drive said clicks. Which causes those platforms to push all of these elements to the fore.

As for content providers, sure, there are a number of success stories, but many of them find the tedium of running the resulting business painful, and drop out, or sell out and move on to other creative works.

So to hope that any sort of default social evolution to occur in what is an increasingly controlled and monetized environment seems to be more a forlorn hope.