The Monkees were actually a very good country-rock band

No. Less than half were.

Co-wrote, to nitpick. With Diane Hilderbrand.

The never-ending argument about who invented the music video has to go through the Monkees. They have a good claim for it, but ultimately I come down on the side that says that their romps filmed to music are too close to movie musical scenes to qualify as true music videos.

Until “Goin’ Down.” That’s a track in and of itself, not shots of romps but a studio-generated true video set apart from the show. It’s so well conceived and produced that it could have been held back a dozen years and played on MTV when it started and not looked a bit out of place. It’s also a virtuoso singing performance by Mickey that’s astonishing.

The music video has lots of precursors, but “Goin’ Down” is the closest to a definitive beginning as we’ll ever get, November 20, 1967. It was followed very closely by true music videos on Laugh-in in January and February 1968. Why the genre didn’t take off then is still puzzling. All the pieces were there.

“And You Just May Be The One” is one of my favorite songs ever.

VCNJ~

Exapno, is this the “Going Down” video you are talking about?

With due respect to the Monkees, I believe the Beatles may get credit for that, with the promotional film for “Strawberry Fields Forever” which was filmed in January 1967.

I believe they actually did promo films for “Paperback Writer” and “Rain” to use on the Ed Sullivan show in lieu of a performance in '66.

It sure is. Great clip.

If you count that, then you have to count all the Monkees romps from the beginning of their show, which were filmed earlier in 1966 even than the promos **woodstockbirdybird ** mentions.

You can. There’s no agreement about what a music video is. You can go back to the Soundies of the 1940s if you want to play it that way. If you search for Soundies on YouTube, you’ll find scads.

But I already said that I considered the earlier Monkees’ romps to be like numbers from a musical. Soundies are so exactly numbers from a musical that they’re completely interchangeable. If I don’t count one, I can’t count the other.

That rules out The Beatles as well. Romp? Check. Originality? Nil. Whatever you say about that “Strawberry Fields Forever” promo, you can say about an earlier Monkees piece.

“Goin’ Down” simply has a different look and feel about it. Sure, it’s subjective. Give me an objective criterion and we’ll go with that. But there isn’t one.

video notwithstanding, Pap Gene’s Blues is my favorite Nesmith number

this is my favorite number from Head

You look just like her you do,
I know by looking at you,
that you’ve been listening to your Auntie Grizelda!

[How come they’re always running around in the street?]

co written by Boomer Castleman. I’ve heard him do it several times. He’s still a great picker and singer.

Wasn’t that song one of the reasons Peter Tork got all torked off about the group, so to speak?

Nah. Those Monkees romps were part of a show. The Beatles clip was filmed as a stand-alone work, to promote a song.

Those were made for video jukeboxes, and so were not strictly analogous. They were not filmed to be broadcast for purposes of promoting a song.

If you want to count “romps” from a larger work, you can pull musical numbers from any movie. The Beatles’ “romps” from Hard Day’s Night predate anything the Monkees did in that category.

“Strawberry Fields” was filmed and used as a stand-alone piece. It (and maybe also the earlier “Paperback Writer” and “Rain” clips with which I am not familiar) is the closest precursor to the modern rock video in terms of the reasons it was filmed and how it was used.

Hmm. Here are “Paperback Writer” and “Rain”. Sure look like videos to me. So maybe those were the first, as woodstockbirdybird suggests.

Let’s don’t and say we did. How many people disparaging the Monkees do you think are also fans of the American Idol musicians?

No, but they make the same arguments against AI contestants as they did against The Monkees (though much more deservedly so in the case of the Idol kids): that they’re prefabricated “fake” artists who only exist as corporate shills.

My husband and I have discussed this on occasion in the past; we came to the conclusion that if The Monkees started up today, they would be another boy band with some adequate or better singers, and who cares if they play or write? In other words, any of the criticisms would be non-issues.

You mean like The New Monkees?

Dudette, I think the Monkees are better singers than any of the current boy banders.

Okay, maybe not Peter Tork, who’s generally considered to be their weakest singer. Even Pete tends to shine when given the right kind of music though, and his instrumental skills are absolutely amazing.

Great to hear kudos for the boys. Still a fan after 40 years. And Mike did San Antonio proud.

I gotta have a cite for this. My (admittedly lame perception) is that PT had basically no talent.

I’m w/Sir Rhosis on Listen to the band, and how about Magnolia Sims?

Just as an aside, I read somewhere (sorry, no cite) that during the late '80’s/early '90’s, Douglas Adams & Michael Naismith tried to get together to do a film of the Hitchiker trilogy.

Love, Phil