The mosquitoes are hungry.. (maybe TMI)

So here in the Midwest, we’ve had a lovely ol’ heat wave rolling through. 85 degrees over the last couple days, when previously the highs were in the mid-50s. I spent most of the last couple afternoons outside, thinking that it was nothing worse than being a bit too hot out…

…And then the mosquitoes woke up. But I thought, hey, I’m wearing a long-sleeved, full-length dress, it shouldn’t be a problem, right?

Apparently the little fuckers have been perfecting their guerrilla stealth tactics. Last night, when I looked in the mirror, I wanted to throw up a little.

I didn’t actually count (knowing the actual number wouldn’t make me feel better), but there were at least fifteen big red mounds of mosquito bite glistening on my pasty white back. After the initial jolt of panic, I fearfully checked the rest of me. There were seven more bites on my legs. And three on my shoulders. And to top it off, some of them look like they’re fragmenting into little bursts of red fireworks.

Seriously, this is disgusting. I’ve been liberally using an anti-itch cream (thankfully most of them don’t itch much), but I don’t think that’ll help them shrink any faster. I guess I’m stuck looking like an acne-ridden teen again for a while. :frowning:

That sounds average for me during mosquito season. In fact, my nickname at scout camp was Mosquito, occasionally shortened to Mossie. I found though that if you manage not to scratch for the first twelve hours or so (really hot showers help make them itch less during that period), they stop itching on their own.

You, too? I thought I was the only one who could get mosquito bites in New York City in October. Yet leaving my window open for a bit of air, on the 13th floor, STILL garners me mosquito bites. Sigh…

You are sure they are skeeters? I’m thinking chiggers or blackflies… the clustering is more typical.

Meanwhile, slightly to the north: snow! - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board

Let me introduce to you one of those tropical bloodsuckers one of these days…

You think they´re hungry where you are?

Well, pal, here in the Dominican Republic, I fell asleep at a friends beach house just the other day, and I kid you not, woke up the next morning with well over 22 mosquito bites in my back and 8 mosquito bites in my arms. 5 in my right arm 3 in my left.

It´s hell I tell you. I feel like scratching my back on some very rough sand paper for hours!!!

:mad:

:slight_smile:

i had something happen to me that i’ve never experienced. i’m the one in the crowd that aways gets bitten. the bites always swell up into huge welts–almost golf ball size. the other evening, we were sitting outside. i was wearing shorts, tank top, and flip flops. i was eaten alive. the worst part is the bottom of my feet being bitten. it’s getting a little better now, but i literally could not walk for 2 days. the bites usually just itch. but on the bottom of your feet, they HURT!!