The most ridiculous Ant-Drug/tobacco message in media.

I believe the studies showed that regular users of marijuana drove better while high, while novice users were significantly impaired (though not as impaired as being drunk.) Hopefully someone can dig up a cite?

I used to own a poster that I hung in my bedroom. It went like this (though it’s funnier if you imagine the pictures that went with them):

• This is your brain*
  • This is your brain on drugs *
  • This is your brain on drugs with a side of bacon *

P.S.: In that two-guys-in-a-bar commercial (which I hate hate HATE more than all others!!) doesn’t the one guy who says “It’s a fact” look like Dick Cheney’s evil clone?

Back in the day, when I was partaking, most of the dope we smoked came from right here in the good ol’ U. S. of A. In fact, I was always under the impression that almost all of it came from my own home state.

So, assuming this is true, the green stuff I spent on green stuff stayed right here in the domestic economy. I sorry, but I just cannot believe that them boys growin the weed up in the hollers of Eastern Kentucky would support international terrorism. NASCAR perhaps. Incest maybe. But international terrorism? Naw.

I hate the one with the father with that annoyingly authoritarian voice (he’s got red hair), talking about how his son is on drugs, and how as a result, he pries into his life. At the end, he mentions that the son resents these intrusions. The father says(somewhat paraphrased): “He says when I have a son, I’ll never treat him like this. I say, if you love him, you will.” Ugh! It just comes off as one of those dictatorial parents. I’m sure Daddy dearest is one of those, “tough love or nothing else” creeps. I mean, the message is good, and parents should be involved in their children’s lives, but he just comes off as a self-righteous prick.

The thing that always got me about this ad is the question the dad asks. He has just discovered his kid’s stash and the only question he can come up with is “Who taught you to do this?” Like the ability to smoke a joint is the result of some kind of secret process that one must be taught (or at least observe, thus the point of the ad). Why doesn’t the dad ask a normal question like “How long have you been doing this?” or “Where did you get this?” Of course, if the kid had pinched his dad’s stash we all know what would have happened to that poor child.

Man. Sounds like Channel One has gone way downhill since I graduated from high school. We were forced to watch Channel One every single freakin’ morning. If you were caught doing something else during that time, like reading a Physics textbook, you were given a warning; the next time you were put in detention.

Anyway, the worst anti-drug commercial I ever saw featured two parents attempting to teach their child the dangers of marijuana by “speaking his language”–in this case, a ‘rap’ song about marijuana:

“The wacky weed / it is bad / take it from me / I’m your dad”

Absolutely hilarious.

<nitpick> Amp I’m pretty sure those annoying show it three times ads are showing three different versions of the same event - including the one with the guy and girl on the couch. If you listen to the sounds in the background they are the same all three times. Besides all the other show it three times ads are showing the same time-span three times, so I’m not sure that they’d change the concept for this one ad.<nitpick>

That said if anyone was watching I Love the 80’s on VH1 recently, they showed the “You dad, I learned it from you” PSA for one of the years. Brought tears (of pain) to my eyes.

Twiddle

Who needs to imagine it? I have it right here.

That’s the one I was thinking of.

Listen, I’m an old fucker. I’ve drank a lot of beer and smoked a lot of pot. I’ve been at parties where young women have been taken advantage of. Not proud, just saying.

Not once have I ever seen a stoner do anything that takes the planning and attention span required to get a shirt off of someone else and feel them up. Generally, he might start on the first button and then remember this really funny episode of Magilla Gorilla that he has to tell everyone about and then go off to make Macaroni and Cheese with ketchup and potato chips in it.

The drunks on the other hand …

In my experience, it does just the opposite. I’ll play a video game for two hours, then look at the clock and realize it’s only been fifteen minutes. However, if I’m high enough, I have no problem sitting there for an additional hour and fifteen minutes, so the over all point is still valid.

As for driving while stoned, I never drive while high. Then again, I never drive while sober, either. I don’t drive, period. But all of my pot-head friends drive while high, including one guy who drives from Humboldt county to LA once a month, stopping every hour or so to smoke a joint. None of them have ever been in an accident.

Finally, stupidest anti-substance ad I’ve ever seen: anything that ever uses some variation of the phrase, “It’s not cool, it’s dangerous.” Jesus, how out of it do you have to be to get that DANGEROUS EQUALS COOL. The fact that, say, cigarettes can kill you is what makes them cool. Because the smoker doesn’t care. He’s so cool, he doesn’t care if he dies. Other cool things: Motorcylces, bungie jumping, gangsta rappers. Not cool things: Volvos, playing whist with granny, Vanilla Ice. See the difference?

Actually I’m fairly sure that commercial is over the course of the evening. A few different people wandering around, and you can hear the party kind of winding down.

Of course this is the one commercial that just disturbs me, simply because I have been in a position similar to that one. Even though the party is winding down they are obviously in the middle of the living room, and others must be around and nearby. People would notice. The way it looks is that the party is just starting to wind down, but is far from finished. Plus alcohol is being served, just the weed isn’t going to leave you in that position. She seems pretty drunk on top of the smoking up.

i hate the commercial with all the kids saying “leave me alone” and shit like that and then saying “what i really mean is ask me where i’m going and who my friends are!!”
parents…the anti drug

NOO!!! that’s NOT what we really mean! we’re trying to play mind games with you!! we actually want to be left alone!!

Hey! Riding a motorcycles is no more dangerouns than riding in a car, so long as you have proper training, ride responsibly, and wear the right protective clothing.

'Course, they’re a bitch to haul stuff around in. And not too fun when it rains.

“riding a motorcycles”? “dangerouns”? Man, I have got to start proof-reading my posts more.

Seeing as I originally (idiotically) posted this to the wrong thread, sorry to those who have to read this twice…

When I watched the Super Bowl last year (I was wasted, by the way…but don’t worry, it was only on a case of twenty-four ‘harmless’ Bud Lights), I was pretty disgusted with the whole “I killed a judge” drugs-are-linked-directly-to-terrorism ad. After (or was it before?) the halftime show, which was a very moving tribute to the victims of 9-11, the government had to cheapen their memory by using them as anti-drug propoganda. Never mind that all marijuana bought by people I know is bought directly from the grower (who is, in both cases, a stoner white kid who uses his profits to help pay for school, and presumably not to fund terrorists. And yes, I realize that my anecdotal experience doesn’t mean anything, really. However, I’d be willing to bet that someone could find a cite to back up that marijuana money generally does not go to terrorists).

However, what immediately came to my beer-addled mind was a fictional ad in which middle-aged men in suits (preferrably actual members of Congress, or even George W. himself) say stuff like “I killed a legal immigrant” or “I shot down a missionary’s plane, killing his wife and infant!” That commercial alone got me so angry that it nearly ruined Super Bowl Sunday (thank God I had all that precious alcohol to keep me happy and keep me from supporting terrorism! Alcohol is MY anti-drug!)

However, I do believe they topped themselves with this disgusting piece of propoganda.

Here’s an idea. Replace ‘drug’ with ‘alcohol’ and turn back the clock 85 or so years. And we all know how well that worked out…:rolleyes:

I can’t imagine that anti-pot ad with the girl getting felt up would be evry effective if the genders were reversed :smiley:

—However, I’d be willing to bet that someone could find a cite to back up that marijuana money generally does not go to terrorists—

I’ve heard is said that most non-domestic pot in the U.S. comes from Canada and Mexico, but I can’t cite it.

I agree that people who are buying pot from people who grow small amounts or who grow in very rural areas probably aren’t contributing to any wrongdoing, but people who grow larger amounts (i.e. those with basements full of plants and live solely on their profits) are most likely paying off local criminal organizations, whether it’s actual cash payments or giving them product for free or at a greatly reduced price. You can’t grow enough to make a decent living without infringing upon the business of criminal organizations (in Dallas it seems to be mostly Mexican and Russian Mafia who have their fingers in the pot-pie) and you have to make it in their best interests to allow you to continue to deal.

Wait…Jeb Bush’s daughter buys drugs, so the Bush family is a bunch of traitors!!! i say arrest them all as “Enemy combatants” and worry about charging them later!!

Well, if they’re giving free weed to the Mob, I think they’re doing their community a service.

“Hey, Little Tony! Where were you? We had to call off the bank job cuz we didn’t have a wheelman!”

“Aw, jeez, sorry Luigi. I was just going out the door, and I saw there was this Gilligan’s Island marathon on TV…”