The movie whose ending sucketh biggest.

Well to be fair, when they found out how twisted she was they were all really to bring her into the fold, minus the pastels. I think the thought of Fester naked just drove he over the edge…that second edge, being as she was already insane.

I’m surprised noone has mentioned Spielbergs War of the Worlds…

I mean, the son turning up alive and well at the mothers house at the end of the movie - could you get any cheesier!?!

What is this “Spielberg’s War of the Worlds” of which you speak? Wells’ novel has not been adapted for the screen since 1953. You understand? It has not. Least of all by Spielberg.

Worst ending - ever - was in Damnation Alley http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075909/

The world is knocked off its axis or something, and everything goes to hell in a handbasket. I mean, this movie puts the “post” in post-apocalyptic. Then, at the end:

The world tilts back to it’s correct position and everything’s fine. I mean, like one second everyone is living in a radioactive sandstorm, and the next second, two guys are riding bikes down a tree-lined street on a beautiful, sunny day. Blech!

David Lynch’s Dune: the completely inexplicable advent of rain at the end. I remember sitting there thinking “where the hell did that come from?”. It needed to be about another 2 hours longer to connect the dots. What people who hadn’t read the book thought of that I can’t imagine.

Not to mention Gene Barry and Ann Robinson [stars of the 1953 version] given five second non-speaking cameos as the grandparents. Couldn’t they have cast them as two seniors on the run from the aliens or as a rabbi [which Barry once studied to be IRL] and a nun or something that’s more than just a “look who’s not dead yet!” snapshot? I mean Robinson hasn’t done anything in 50 years, tis true, but he’s Gene Barry, for Orson’s sake!

See post #44.

Although its barely even a movie any MST3K fan will recognize this line:

"But there was no monster…"

from Monster a Go-Go.

Pa-leze! Spielberg’s was way more faithful to the book than the goofy George Pal live action PuppetToon.

Didn’t bother me that much, frankly.

The original Star Wars had a pretty bad ending. Not the whole blowing up of the Death Star, but rather that stupid processional where they’re all given medals amidst cheering and waving. It was just so * lame *.

Blazing Saddles. The ending seemed SO bad becuase the movie was otherwise a comic great.

In the film version of The Bad Seed, the amoral child Rhoda, trying to fish a coveted swimming-medal (won by a boy she killed out of jealousy) out of the water by a dock, is killed by a branch knocked down by a bolt of lightning. IOW, a Deus ex machina. Meanwhile, her mother, hospitalized after a suicide attempt, survives. :rolleyes: I suspected that was a tacked-on moralistic Hollywood ending, not present in the original stage play (and the way the story was filmed leaves no doubt it was adapted from a stage play). And this article confirms as much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bad_Seed

53 posts and no one has mentioned Tim Burton’s incredibly lame Planet of the Apes? I mean, i know the whole movie sucked ass, but the ending… ewwwwwww. Stinker. I was mad as I watched the movie, but when it ended, I was ready to drive to LA and hunt Mr. Burton down.

[rant]<grumbling>stupid crackhead goth idiot…<trails off>[/rant]

The 40 Year Old Virgin

[spoiler]It ends with Steve Carell losing his virginity by getting married and having sex with the woman he’s loved and had a deep relationship with. The final scene was him dancing around with a bunch of people, after being “deflowered”, and singing Let the Sun Shine In

I guess I was disappointed because I thought he’d lose his virginity out of developing his macking skills, rather than through marriage.[/spoiler]

I think the ending came about for two reasons.

1. The writer ran out of ideas.
  2. The writer realized the movie was just exceeding 2 hours, and needed a way to end it quickly.

But by the middle of the movie, it’s obvious he’s never going to have any of those. That’s definitely the kind of thing you’d expect going in, though. I’m glad it went in another direction.

I liked Fallen well enough until the end. I didn’t have a problem with the outcome so much as the specific way it came about.

Basically, there’s this demon going around possessing people and having fun by making them into killers. Denzel’s character, John Hobbes, figures out that the only way to kill the demon is to let himself be possessed, then kill himself in an isolated area so that the demon can’t jump to a new person. So Hobbes chain smokes a bunch of poisoned cigarettes out in the woods and lures the demon out there to possess him. The demon realizes he’s been tricked pretty quickly, and tries to get Hobbes back to civilization, but it’s too late. Only, a raccoon or something happens along and the demon possesses it at the last minute. If they were going to use a stupid deus ex machina, they could at least have used some hikers instead of a damn wild animal.

Just to put the finishing craphat on this pile, the movie uses the ending at the beginning and wants you to think it was quite a clever twist, but really it just rendered the movie kinda pointless.

My nomination would be The Green Mile (interesting that there are so many Steven King movies listed). Yes, the ending of The Green Mile is faithful to the novella – in fact the whole movie is extremely true to the book. But the ending is so – I don’t know – bleak. Here’s this beautiful story about a miraculous person, very Christ-like in his role, who is innocent yet suffers a horrible and unjust death, yet still manages to bring some justice into the world. And what’s the ending? The man who witnessed the event is rewarded with an abnormally long life – bit it’s a lonely existence that consists mostly of watching everyone he loves wither and die. God, how depressing.

What I loved about the ending of that movie was that apes had evolved to the point where they could speak and read (both in English, which as in the original should have been a bit of a tip off about their origin to the astronauts) and build cities and civilizations, but they couldn’t figure out how to knock rust and dirt off of a sign to read the whole thing.

Put me down as someone who loved the ending of 40 Year Old Virgin as well. I thought it was perfect.

No hate for The Return of the King? Not only was the ending unbearable, it kept going for what seemed like hours.