‘The New Annotated Dracula’ – author signings in Mpls, Toronto, Chicago

*Note: Permission to post this information was requested and received courtesy of Ed Zotti and the Powers that Be. *

There is a new annotated edition of Bram Stoker’s Dracula being released in October. The editor and annotator is Les Klinger who also wrote The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes. Some details of the book are found here. For people in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Toronto and Chicago areas, there will be presentations by the author and books available for signing and purchase. This seems like the sort of book that would interest a number of Dopers and I thought I would let people know. I became aware of it due to Sherlock Holmes related relationships I have with these libraries and through knowing Les.

The Minneapolis event is at Andersen Library on the U of M campus, West Bank on Monday. Oct. 27, 7:00 pm.

The Toronto event is at the Toronto Public Library on Thursday October 23 at 7:00 pm. It will be at the Lillian H Smith Library on College Street branch instead of at the Reference Library.

He is also showing up at the Newberry Library in Chicago on Tuesday October 28 at 6:00. It is a beautiful library that I’ve visited a few times.

In doing some research for this post, I found a site that gives his tour itinerary. He is appearing a quite a few more locations than I had realized.

Les Klinger actually posted a few messages on SDMB a number of years ago in response to a Sherlock Holmes report written by Dex. Anyway, I hope this information is helpful to anyone interested in the subject.

Ooh. I have the Original Annotated Dracula by Leonard Wolfe. I am looking forward to this new version.

I couldn’t find the release date. Does anyone know the actual date?

Amazon.com mentions October 13, but this may be a typo. I’ve been told by people who have talked with Klinger is that the official release date is October 31 to tie it in with Halloween. But, as the tour dates show, there is a lot of opportunity to get it earlier.

Sounds cool, thanks for the info. But, why did you need permission? You aren’t the author, right?

I could’ve sworn the author was dead. And had been for a long, long time.

Sure, during the day.

Regards,
Shodan

jackdavinci, I wanted to play it safe. It could have been viewed as shilling for a commercial book-selling venture. Instead I’m in a “friends of the library” group associated with a Sherlock Holmes collection at the University of Minnesota and there is cross-over interest with Klinger’s new annotated version, but no financial interest on my part. My understanding is that his presentation will be talking about working with the privately held manuscript and new sources of background material for the annotations.

Hmm. I haven’t heard about this. I have his complete New Annotated Sherlock Holmes (as well as the Baring-Gould original Annotated Sherlock Holmes), and I liked the way he fixed numerous errors, and kept out of the whole dating quagmire.
I have Wolf’s The Annotated Dracula, and have re-read it many times. Wolf also annotated Frankenstein, which is worth getting, if you can find it. Later on, he seems to have had a falling out with the Annotated people, because he later issued his updated versions as The Essential Dracula and The Essential Frankenstein. He later added annotated editions (under the “Essential” title) of Dr. Jeckyll and Mister Hyde and The Phantom of the Opera. These were all reprinted about three or four years ago.

So the time is ripe for a new edition, and I’d like to see if Klinger corrects any of Wolf’s errors (Wolf, by the way, was advisor for Francis Ford Coppola’s film Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and liked it. David J. Skal, author of Hollywood Gothic and other monster-flick books, didn’t, and thought it a bad interpretation. I’d kinda like to see an edition annotated by Skal.)

I have Wolf’s original Annotated Dracula & Frankenstein, but only his Essential D. I haven’t gotten, nor do I think I need his Jekyl-Hyde or Phantom books. I also have Wolf’s A** Dream of Dracula** & Dracula: A Connoiseur’s (sp) Guide. Alas, I’ve never been able to get MacNally & Florescu’s annotated edition of Dracula. I guess I’m going to have to get this one.

Is it being released in the UK or just the US?

Regarding non-USA editions, I :smack: myself for not having checked into that before posting, especially given the international nature of this board. I’ll check and post when I can get an answer.

CalMeacham, you’re one of the prolific readers/book collectors who I had in mind with posting about the release. He is showing up in Cambridge (Harvard Bookstore) on Halloween night if you have the opportunity.

Well, as long as we’re allowed to discuss other works, Cleveland TV and literary critic Mark Dawidziak has just released *The Bedside, Bathtub & Armchair Companion to Dracula *and will be doing a number of northeast Ohio appearances, including the GhoulardiFest on October 18 and the Buckeye Book Fair on November 1. I haven’t seen the book yet, but Dawidziak is a noted Twain scholar and also knows his stuff on horror films.

I got a faster response than I had expected. There will be a UK edition but he is not sure when. He does plan to be in London in January for some publicity, but no details have been set. He expects that other foreign editions will be released as well but again, too early for any specifics.

Sigmagirl, thanks. I wonder if the two releases are coincidental or planned.

I have to think they’re coincidental, as Eric Nuzum’s The Dead Travel Fast: Stalking Vampires from Nosferatu to Count Choculahas just come out in paperback. I think it’s just a good time for the literary undead.

I didn’t know about MacNally and Florescu’s book – I’ll have to look that up. I have their In Search of Dracula.

My going-to-bed book right now is his “Annotated Sherlock Holmes” (one story a night!) and am VERY irked that he’ll be in Seattle & Portland the ONE weekend that I’ll be holed up in a coastal beachhouse and unable to accost him for book signing.

I’ll probably buy the Dracula book. I love the annotated stuff.

That’s also a neat site and I’ll have to check it out. No authors brave my neck of the woods but there are a few I’d trek to the I-5 corridor for and it would be nice to hear about their visits before they happen instead of on the actual day (which happened with Neal Stephenson last week.)

Les Klinger will be on Coast to Coast AM (the old Art Bell radio show) 1 am to 5 am EDT this coming Sat night/Sun morn.

One permitted bump just ahead of the book tour. (Sorry Toronto, I’m a bit late.)

• Mycroft

They’re having the Boston signing (an the NH signing) on Halloween, fer cryin’ out loud! No WAY can I make either of those – I’ve got a daughter to take Trick or Treating.
I’ll just sit home alone and watch all the versions of Dracula I’ve stockpiled…

grumblegrumblegrumble

Am I the only one who listed to the C2CAM interview last week? It was pretty cool & he discussed Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper as much as he discussed Dracula.