The new most polluted city in the U.S.

I have been reading how Houston will surpass Los Angeles as the most polluted city this year. Both cities and surrounding areas rely too much on automobiles, and can be dirty, but the climates are quite different. L.A. gets very little rain most years, plus it is surrounded on land by mountains, making for a high pressure zone which traps smog. Houston averages over 45" of rain a year, and low pressure dominates most of the time. Houston gets flushed out far more often than L.A.

Are the measurements biased? What’s up?

Ah, Houston also has a bay polluted with oil rigs and such. Also, oil refineries and other things like that can add to its pollutive prowess. Finally, Houston is growing whereas, IIRC, Los Angeles is basically at a population stand still. All this in a city that is already polluted (don’t go there in the summer, it really sucks) and just overall nasty weather wise.

HUGS
SqrlCub

Move over Satan. :wink: Now there’s something meatier. http://smallwonder.simplenet.com/COC.html

LA is most definitely NOT at a population standstill, I assure you. They were discussing this on the news just the other day – I believe they anticipate an average of 300,000 new people per year over the next few years.

My husband is a teacher for the LAUSD, at a middle school (grades 6-8). This year they have more than 300 more students than they had last year (and only one new teacher).

-Melin

posted 10-12-1999 02:42 PM

Ah, Houston also has a bay polluted with oil rigs and such. Also, oil
refineries and other things like that can add to its pollutive prowess.
Finally, Houston is growing whereas, IIRC, Los Angeles is basically at a
population stand still. All this in a city that is already polluted
(don’t go there in the summer, it really sucks) and just overall nasty
weather wise.

Of course, I was referring to air pollution. When it rains the suspended air pollution goes somewhere.

Summer can be fun in Houston. I was a camp counselor for the YMCA during summers while in college. Back then I was acclimated to daytime summer weather. Summer nights can be nice. You will still sweat like crazy, but as long as you drink a lot of water you likely won’t get heat exhaustion. Outside during the daytime? Get in some shade.