The new NAFTA: What would you call it?

Apparently, there is a difference of opinion among two signatories:

– Canada will call it CUSMA (Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement). That’s in English; I haven’t been able to find what the French equivalent would be. Anyway, the Government of Canada is already calling it such; see the Government of Canada’s page here.

– The United States will call it USMCA (United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement). See here.

What would you call it?

Me, I’d prefer something referring to North America–perhaps “NAFTA II,” or “TANA” (Trade Agreement of North America). But what do you say?

The French version of that same page calls the agreement ACEUM (Accord Canada-États-Unis-Mexique). Doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

I think Canada should call it NAFTA 2 (ALENA 2 in French) because The Cheeto absolutely doesn’t want it to be called that.

Thump’s trade agreement where he doesn’t know what he’s doing, or TTAWHDKWHD for short.

In the US, the Make America Great Again Trade Agreement, or MAGATA, in Canada it would be Make Canada Great Again Trade Agreement, or MCGATA, In Mexico it would be Make Mexico Great Again and Pay For Your Own Fn Wall Trade Agreement . or MMGAaPFOWFWTA.

He knows what he’s doing, he is dividing us from our allies, and he doesn’t care about the damage he does.

Most of NAFTA was not really changed, so how about NAFTA?

Lipstick on a pig.

Any provisos for employee or environmental protections will be unenforced or fought tooth & nail by the corporations that wrote this and the original V1.0 NAFTA.