The "New" Strawberry Shortcake

I was very excited when I learned all my favorite cartoon shows form the 80’s would be coming back. I love Rainbow Brite and Care Bears, and I even have a fondness for Transformers. But my more than anything I loved Strawberry Shortcake.

But then I saw the “new” DVDs and books of Strawberry Shortcake, and got very upset.

They’ve completely changed the way she looks! Ths isn’t the berry sweet girl I used to watch on TV. Compare this old ‘vintage Strawberry’ with the newer updated doll. Then, to top it all off, the two new dvds they made don’t have the Purple Pieman, everyone’s favorite villain.

American greetings (who now owns Strawberry)has tainted my childhood memories of berry goodness. Where has my Strawberry Shortcake gone, and will my other favorite 80s cartoons face the same ‘revamping?’

Does anybody else remember the National Lampoon centerfold that showed Strawberry Shortcake getting sodomized by a Smurf? Some of the amusing details in the drawing included that she was smoking a pink joint and they had used strawberry flavored lubricant. Ye gods that magazine was funny back in the day…

I remember Strawberry Shortcake! Used to have a doll that smelled like strawberries. 3 weeks later it smelled like crapberries and her hair was doing something funky, but eh, what are you going to do?

The new revamped Strawberry doesn’t bother me as much as “real nice detail” did.

No Purple Pieman, no money from me. Yah tata ta!

I agree. We were looking at beach towels at Target, and my husband said, “Ooh, look, Strawberry Shortcake!” And I said, “That’s not Strawberry Shortcake!” She was wearing jeans! It was all wrong. No Purple Pieman? Why even bother?

Frankly, all those old 1980’s girls’ cartoons look overly-sickening sweet today. Perhaps Strawberry’s updating was a way to inject a little insulin in the franchise. It just looks wrong, though. But, remember, you’re marketing to girls who have played with Pokemon and Legos–they’re not used to all this girly stuff :).

Am I misremembering, or was one of her cohorts named “Raspberry Tart” or something? If so, I guess they can’t get away with that sort of thing today.

Ah, for the innocence of the Reagan era, when people thought Alice Cooper was BAD BAD BAD!

Strawberry Shortcake has really bad hydrocephalus…

And looks like a moron to top it off.

Raspberry Tart was indeed a friend to Strawberry. I had the Lemon Merengue (sp?) doll as a child as I had blonde hair and my sister had Strawberry as she had red hair. My other sister had that little one - Apricot, I think.

I also had the “baby doll” size Strawberry and she blows strawberry kisses at you when you push her tummy. We also have one or two Strawberry Shortcake records - in one of the stories I believe it is Raspberry Tart that eats all their jam, then there is a song about jam.

The new one does look wrong, but I can see why they updated her. The old version would appeal to those who played with her first as a nostalgic doll, but no child of this era would want her.

If there’s no Purple Pieman, do they have a nemesis at all?

No nemesis. The first DVD is just meeting all the gang and throwing a party. The second is convincing the character Spring to shower Strawberryland with the season spring.

It’s sad that people reminisce for the early days of toy advertisements disguised as cartoons. :wink:

I was hardcore into Strawberry Shortcake and the gang as a child. I had records, books, the little miniatures, cups, dishes, jewelry. I had the dolls and I had the merry-go-round, the butterfly taxi and the Very Berry Bake Shoppe. I had Strawberry Shortcake pjs, nightgowns, tee shirts and underwear.

I had a big stuffed Custard, and I think I also had the Lemon Meringue “blow kiss” doll.

I was a HUGE Strawberry fan. In fact, I probably had more Strawberry Shortcake stuff than any other little girl on my block. I was the Queen of Strawberry Shortcake.

Now they’ve brought her back-but they CHANGED HER!!!

No fair!

Okay, the characters:
Strawberry Shortcake
Blueberry Muffin (my favorite!)
Apple Dumpling
Crepes Suzette
Plum Pudding (male)
Huckleberry Pie (male)
Raspberry Tart
Lemon Meringue
Lime Chiffon
Mint Tulip
Orange Blossom
Cherry Cuddler

There’s more, but I can’t remember them off hand.

The new Strawberry has removed Blueberry Muffin(also a favorite of mine) another character. I think it was Raspberry Tart, but I din’t see any Crepes Suzette mentioned in the synopsis, either.

Here is a review of the new short, along with some of the changes that were made.

Be glad it’s not trhis Strawberry Shortcake…

That’s the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread. THAT was funny.