The new "WHAM!" documentary on Netflix - highly recommend!

I watched it last night. It’s about the classic George Michael/Andrew Ridgeley duo, and while it’s quite superficial as docos go, it’s still excellent, and I for one sang along through much of it.

Highly recommended for fans of 1980s music, or even anyone who lived through that decade.

A reviewer I watch gave it a 9/10. She gave The Flash a 5 and that cost $300M, so if anything, Wham! is a great value.

Mrs. solost wanted to watch this last night. I was tired and couldn’t keep my eyes open, but I heard that classic 80’s girl group The Go-Go’s made a cameo appearance in the documentary.

So I told her to wake me up before The Go-Go’s.

Now, you’ve reminded me of a terrible joke I heard, c. 1984:

“Have you heard The Go-Go’s new song? It’s called ‘Wake Me Up Before You Wham!’”

It was a nice and jolly nostalgic documentary, and the evident friendship of George and Andrew was very touching. I did find it a bit odd that the narration from the two of them seemed to be from the early 2000s. Obviously it’s a bite late to get an update from George Michael; it just made me wonder if the documentary was basically a slick Netflix re-release of a programme made twenty years ago.

Or possibly even longer, because the saga ends with the breakup of Wham in 1986, and then an In Memoriam to George Michael.

Much of the dialogue was overdubbed, if you will, probably from radio interviews.

For fans: https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/26/style/george-michael-commemorated-coins-gbr-scli-intl/index.html

I thought about this movie a couple days ago at the grocery store. I heard “Wake Me Up…” on the overhead speaker, and a boy who was probably 8 or 9 years old, much to his dad’s (or possibly grandpa’s) chagrin, started dancing in response.

Heard about the triple mashup of Wham!, Michael Jackson, and Lionel Richie?

“Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, or I’ll Beat It -All Night Long.”