The newest phenomenon

7 year old kids crashing their bicycles while talking on their cell phones. There is a local 2nd grader that has had her cell phone taken away from her several times while in class at school. A few days ago, she was hit by a car on her way home from school while talking on her cell phone. Fortunately she was wasn’t seriously hurt.

This cell phone thing has really gotten out of hand, IMHO.

Yet another install in classic OP/username combinations.

Are there any more kids-on-bikes accidents due to cell phones as compared to kids just being their normal, distracted, fooling-around, oblivious selves?

Well to answer the original post general question, yes…

Agreed. Moving from GQ.

General Questions Moderator

At age 13-ish I crashed my bike into the back of a parked car while reading a paperback. This was in the 1960s.

Inappropriate multitasking & attention fixation are not new-fangled features of kids. They’ve been that way for centuries.

Hell, I wasn’t even reading a book, just daydreaming about something. Got home and my mom asked why my nose was green, which really confused me as the car I ended up on the roof of appeared to be black.

When I was 9 or 10, could’ve been as old as 11, I was riding my bike down the street with no hands on the handlebars. My foot slipped backwards, so instead of peddling forward, I slammed on the brake. The front wheel turned, and I flipped over the handlebars, plowing facefirst into the street.

Stitches ensued in my lip and chin.

Still, I have to say the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen along the OP’s idea is a guy riding a motorcycle with a cell phone crooked between his ear and shoulder.

Along the same lines, but multiplied 100 times…

Whenever I read about someone getting hurt doing something really stupid I take a deep breath and repeat to myself quietly…

…survival of the fittest… thinning the herd… natural selection…

As much as I agree that your average seven-year-old is easily distracted and will hurt themselves without technology, WTF do they need a cell phone to begin with?

Worried parents are worried. It’s easier to feel secure about your children if they have a way to contact you if they get into trouble, or get lost, or decide they’re too tired and need a ride home, or who knows what.