The Office 10/16/08

Boy what an ending! I didn’t realize Jim and Pam were leaving each other messages until late, I was wondering about the odd rythm of their phone conversation but I just thought it was an editing decision. When I finally understood they were just leaving voicemail, I was floored by their soulmate-iness. Does that make sense to anyone?

And I was so proud of Michael when he asked Holly on a date. Steve Carell’s performance as Michael is simply impeccable. I kept expecting Holly to close her eyes during the hug, maybe she didn’t because of the camera.

This episode was fine. I didn’t understand Jan’s request or why they made Dwight put the stroller in the trunk. I wanted some Dwight-style comments :slight_smile:

Anyways, I love this show. The characters are so multidimensional that it’s always a pleasure to see them interact.

A 529 is a college fund. Great line.

I thought it was great. I nearly fell off the sofa at Dwight giving birth. I liked the Phyllis/Angela power struggle over the party planning committee. I liked Angela’s tribute to Anne Geddes, and her shortness with Andy over doing it wrong and the Darryl chat in the warehouse.

I had some good laughs, but it doesn’t have to be all comedy all the time. The show is character-driven, and sometimes I just like to see those characters being themselves. I really liked Darryl trying to explain to Michael that he isn’t actually a Baby-Daddy because: a) it’s not his baby; and b) he’s not a daddy.

I really thought Dwight was going to get pulled over by the police. Somebody dragging a baby stroller on a rope behind their car isn’t something you see every day.

I thought the Dwight-stroller thing sort of fell apart at the end. As she’s leaving the office Jan asks about her stroller and Dwight said he took the liberty of putting it in her trunk. She’s grateful.

Next scene, Jan’s closing the hatch at the back of her car, no mention of the stroller which she would have noticed was beaten to pieces. Made me think that maybe there was a deleted scene or something.

Also, Jan looked awfully shapely for someone who had just given birth; almost as if the delivery was a month or so past.

All in all, a fairly weak episode.

I liked it, particularly Creed’s Omaha Beach joke, and Dwight’s reaction when he first saw Jan’s baby: “That could be anybody’s baby. Except Michael’s.”

I was touched by the ending. I really expected Michael to walk away from Holly. Michael is not my favorite character, but the writers do a great job of making you hate him one minute and feel sorry for him the next.

I think the best part was everyone looking on and being horrified. As if to think, “This would be happening even if the cameras weren’t here, what can we do?”

The Pam-Jim plotline seems to be an attempt to re-inject some of the tension that the series had when they were not yet a couple. It needs it, as the show is becoming stagnant, particularly now that Michael and Holly have finally hooked up. I’d look for them (P&J) to break off the engagement at some point and then go through a bunch of episodes where they are uncomfortable and trying to reconnect.

The Darryl scene was funny.

Darryl points to another warehouse guy: “Do you feel connected to his baby?”
“No.”
“Do you feel connected to this?” (hold up a backpack)
“No… that’s not a baby.”
“Do you want to hold me in your arms?”
(long pause)
“Could I?”
“No!”

I didn’t catch that joke…little help please.

Also I didn’t get the reason why Creed would have been taping his ankle.

Well, we did get to learn that Dwight circumcised himself. That was helpful.

Actually, I thought that this was a good ep, but not as good as last week’s. The stuff before the credits was silly good: butter, sharpie. Also, that line with Dwight when he found out that Jan already had the baby (paraphrased): “The baby could be anybody’s. But, not Michael’s.”

Jan was talking about having a tub birth and how the afterbirth and everything just floats up around you. Creed compared it to Omaha Beach in WW2.

Funniest and most cringe-worthy line of the show (by Dwight): “Babies are one of my many areas of expertise. Growing up, I performed my own circumcision.”

Otherwise, a pretty average episode. I can’t stand Holly since she’s essentially a female Michael. She has more sense than Michael, but can’t be all that bright since she likes the idiot. One thing good about the show is that it tries hard to give all the main characters some lines in every show

My funniest line was when Jan asked Holly where the baby was and Holly told Jan she was out on a sales call.

From that joke I think Jan picked up on the fact that Holly and Michael would be compatible.

I thought it was when Michael told Jan that Holly smelled like old tomatoes and dirt. Jan knows that means love at Michael’s third-grade emotional level.

I wanted to hear somebody say, “I don’t know nothin’ about birthin’ no watermelons!” Preferably Andy. Kevin would have been good too. And where Darryl could hear it.

Yeah, this is exactly why I didn’t think their subplot was a downer. Unless they have the worlds biggest plothole, they hang up their phones, listen to the voicemail and all of a sudden realize that they AREN"T out of sync at all. You don’t need to show that on screen.

While the episode as a whole was weak, that moment was nice as well as Holly and Michael’s hug was pretty nice as well.

Those two scenes make it watchable. At this point, however, Jan is beyond horrible and I want her to just leave. She’s not even interesting anymore.

Exactly. That realization on Jan’s face was great. She was actually jealous.

This show is about horrible character moments. As much as I like the touching stuff I prefer the detestable cringy moments.

Favorite Line was Michael describing his relationship with Astird… (Sorry Astrid) being like that of a dog nursing a tiger cub on Youtube: Unnatural, bizarre, strange and weird… but… it happens.

I really would have liked to see a scene where the $1,200 stroller got through Dwight’s abuse unscathed. See him give the stroller a nod of respect.