The Office, 11/19/09. (open spoilers)

I loved how it was classic “put the bad kid in the corner” (or the closet, even), and Ryan acted just like a bad kid who’s been caught.

Yeah, anyone who brings Michael Scott to a serious meeting gets what they deserve. And I think I have to remember Dwight’s little rhyme there. :slight_smile:

I’m not so sure that Oscar didn’t have any ideas, so much as he just didn’t have the guts to tell them to the suits when the opportunity arose.

Michael’s basic idea wasn’t so terrible. Giving the shareholders the idea that there was a “plan” in the works, and that D-M knew what it was doing could have worked at least temporarily to quell panic and stop shareholders from leaving.

Picking the brains of bright employees like Oscar is, likewise, not a bad idea. t’s better than doing nothing, anyway.

My impression was that Oscar was completely over his head, that his ideas were too obvious to mention to a group of people who (in theory anyway) knew how to run a business.

Well sure, but it’s not like Michael actually thinks that way. His whole thought process is “Oh noez, people don’t like me. Say something to make them like me!” It doesn’t matter to him if what he says is true or even remotely possible.

But he had the correct instinct – to calm the fires, get out of sight for a cool down and come up with a plan. And this time, he thought he had a guy with a plan. And he maybe did, but the guy chickened out. This episode was really about Oscar. He’s generally the brightest, sanest guy in the office, and like so many of these guys, he clams up and shuffles away precisely when he gets his chance to shine. You see it all the time in any office. Instead of risking it and maybe embarrassing himself and others, he just gets out of the way. Nothing ventured, nothing gained? To hell with that, he thinks, there’s probably not much to gain and I just want the spotlight off of me, anyway. He really actually needed some of Michael’s moronic bravado. Pretty good episode: Michael, ready and willing to lead, but utterly clueless; Oscar, some good smarts, but utterly unwilling to get involved; Jim, kinda getting the mix right, showing some balls and smarts at the same time; and Dwight, completely out in left field, as usual.

That’s the thing, when Michael started talking about how he got the crowd excited, David conceded, while the others scoffed. No they didn’t have a plan, but why not take some time to think of something to offer them? Or rehearse their response’s to the crowd? It didn’t seem like the shareholders were that bright anyway, any vague attempt at a solution thrown at them afterwards may have been enough to keep the company afloat. Even if what Michael offered was unrealistic, he’s the only one that had the sense of urgency to try and do something about it.

It seemed like they were fucked as it was, David didn’t even really seem too upset about Michael’s “bankruptcy” slip. I think David might know that when Michael’s involved, things could go either way, and at this point, would it matter? I’m not saying it’s a pony I would personally bet on, but maybe David is going for broke. David didn’t prep him at all either. Michael didn’t know what he was getting into from the start, and seemed baffled by the boo’s.

I’m glad Oscar chickened out, (or didn’t know of what to say). For as outspoken as he was, I’m glad he didn’t cause a sudden brainstorm session and find a way to save the company in the fifteen minutes they had. It would have been more of a cliche if Oscar did have his moment to tell everyone what he thought, instead he left. You can’t blame him, Michael did put him on the spot. He was practically asking for the chance when he decided to go, but he just couldn’t do it.

I’m with Dio.

I disagree. When they went into the room, he had them try to come up with a plan. Backwards. “Day 45, company saved. Day 44, go!” So basically, he offered a solution to the shareholders that didn’t exist, and then tried to make reality fit his pulled-out-of-his-ass solution. Oscar came later when Michael realized his “plan” wasn’t going to work. Totally agree about Oscar though. I really wish he’d tee’d off on them.

I loved how they used the secretary they had brought in to replace Pam when she was away at school, in Recyclops’ third or fourth year flashback. That was a nice piece of continuity.

I wanted to find out who Ryan and Creed were talking about in the break room. (“Are you in love with her, or only with the idea of her?”) Or did I miss something?

He was trying to get the executives to brainstorm with him, and at least TRY to come up with some kind of plan, which is what they should have been doing anyway. I still see that as a correct instinct. He was the only one who at least wanted to try. The others were fatalistic and apathetic.

Businesses are going belly up all over; there’s no reason to think the CEO (or the Senator) are idiots.

It was just Ryan being a pretentious dick (and avoiding actually working) as usual.

I’m pretty sure the joke there as that the camera pulled out to show Creed, when he is probably the last person we’d expect to see in that conversation.

-Joe

Michael called him an idiot because he insulted Michal some way. Can’t remember the exact word.

Anyway, it seemed to me that the execs were there to just get yelled at and keep things going so they could keep drawing their checks as long as possible. They weren’t even trying to live up to their responsibilities or improve the situation.

So, maybe not idiots, but pricks at least.

-Joe

“Does this guy have an off button? Who is this idiot?” and Michael actually is an idiot. But yeah, you’re right the top guys probably are pricks.

It might be a correct instinct, but it’s akin to jumping out of a window when your highrise is on fire. Escape is a good instinct, but execution is important. Of course, the other idiots are standing around trying to convince everyone else that the building isn’t actually on fire, so they’re no better.

He called Michael a moron. Michael took offense and talked about how his branch is consistently profitable and said, “I’m not a moron, you’re a moron.”

That particular line sounded very familiar. Like from an 80’s teen movie that Creed woud never have seen, and used to make Ryan sound insightful and deep.

I’m with Dio, Michael was the only one who had a good idea at that meeting. That crowd was ready to swallow whatever BS plan they were fed, Michael probably wasn’t bright enough to come up with something but after seeing how easily he turned the crowd around the other guys sure as hell should have.

Did Oscar ever say anything to indicate he had a plan? I don’t remember anything.

He did a lot of bitching, calling them boobs for hiring a limo when the company is bankrupt, and he’s right with that, but that’s a long way from having a solution.

No, Michael mentions something about dumping of properties, the Oscar states he and Michael feel as if they are in good hands.

“Limos are for people who make the company money, not lose millions and have no plan.”

You are right-----I have heard that line (or one very similar) somewhere before…