The Office 3/30

I always like when we see Michael in a different light than as the doofus. As poor as his reaction was when he heard Kevin’s pending news, he was perfectly supportive when (he thought) the worst had happened. And of course he was great with Carol’s (Karen?) kids.

–Cliffy

When was he supportive? When they were at the skating rink, and Kevin said the tests were negative? I need to watch that again. Michael’s reaction could be interpreted as supportive, but I looked at it as Michael making a big deal out of being the first to give Kevin a big hug and commiserate. Maybe I need to look again.

That was cool, with the kids. I wonder how Michael would be as a dad. Would having someone look up to him mellow him out a bit, or make him worse?

Michael was supportive when Jim said he had a crush on Pam. But in this episode, he was upset when anything took attention away from his birthday.

BTW, I just watched the episode again, and picked up a few jokes I missed the first time. Like Dwight playing on the recorder and then announcing that the song was by “William Joel.” And the poster Michael’s mother sent, that he believed to be of Luke Perry (actually James Dean).

Overdramatic, sure, but I thought Michael was genuine when he told Kevin “we’ll beat this thing.”

–Cliffy

In that scene also was the one liner: The birthday planning committee has been working on this 24/7 all day yesterday.

It’s one of the fun things about this show. The same characters will dissect the English language and its idioms when there’s a joke to be had and completely mangle it when there’s another joke to be had.

Well, as soon as Kevin’s phone rang Michael skated over looking really serious. It was either that he really cares, or he knows what really caring is supposed to look like and he was doing that.

The paper Livestrong bracelet didn’t help much!

I think Michael’s one of those people who, if he can’t be the center of attention, has to be right next to the actual center hoping to catch some of the glow. He’ll make himself a character in anyone’s drama just so he’s not pushed off to the side by himself.

In that way, I think Michael walks the uncomfortable line between despicable and kind of average. I know a lot of people who will glom onto someone else’s drama because it gives them a good story.
Which makes for a better attention-getter: “A guy who works for me has skin cancer” or “One of my closest friends in the world has skin cancer”? I think a large number of people exaggerate their closeness to a tragedy to get some residual attention out of it.

Both ElzaHub and I saw the beginning of the one with Rainn, and BOTH of us started rolling our eyes. I think I even said “Tell me he is NOT doing these stupid announcements.”.

Then I ate my words :D. Those were classic - I’m looking forward to watching the whole kit and kaboodle when I get home tonight.

And not one of my favorite episodes, but the Pam and Jim stuff made my day.

E.