The Office: "Heavy Competition" (Open Spoilers)

I just thought it was a comment about how Angela had been sleeping with Dwight before Andy even entered the picture, making Andy look even more pathetic.

Or Angela. SenorBeef, I really didn’t get that part either. Pam said the timeline is sketchy… I guess that could mean that it’s been on-again, off-again? I think I have a good handle on it though. Perhaps it’s just that the characters don’t know as much as the viewers. Pam’s known about it the longest.

Poor Andy. Even though I wasn’t very fond of the b-story, I can relate to Andy when he said:
“I know a few things about love – Horrible, terrible, awful, awful things.”

The b-story seemed tailor-made for me at the time. I could use a ‘Jim’ tell me that he promises that I will find someone one day. I just can’t ignore the fact that the whole thing seemed a little weird, and maybe a little random, (not all having to do with relationship issues, however I do realize that Jim was probably acting that way since Andy said he would be there for his emotional needs in replace of Pam. I can’t put my finger on it why I didn’t like it.

Everyone, including me, used to hate Andy, now that his character’s evolved he seems like kind of like a pretty good-natured dork. And I can relate to that.

I hope they have Charles evolve a little, or flesh his character out a little more. I sort of hope he doesn’t just get ditched and leave the show.

My biggest problem with this show is when it requires a suspension of disbelief that undermines the whole premise…in other words, we have to see Micheal functioning like something other than a horrible cartoon sometimes, or the idea of him holding that job in the first place completely falls apart. This is not absurdist humor, the reason it’s so funny is because it walks the reality line, and if Micheal is 100% buffoon 100% of the time, it stops being funny.

All I know is that I need more Creed.

“I was there first so I have Dibbs. You respect Dibbs don’t you?”

“I’m not a barbarian.”

Rather than hijack this thread, I thought I’d start a new one on the Peter Principle.

What I thought was interesting about the b-plot was that Andy didn’t get angry at Jim’s apparent emotional neediness. That’s the way I expected it to work out and how I think most shows would have handled it – Jim becomes more and more demanding, and eventually Andy either gets fed up and tells Jim to act like an adult or else totally loses his temper and winds up back in anger management therapy.

Instead Andy remained committed to providing Jim with support even as Jim’s behavior became increasingly extreme. Andy was even willing to confront the whole office because he thought they must be giving Jim a hard time.

I felt kind of bad for Andy at the end when Jim didn’t acknowledge this. Andy did need to hear that he shouldn’t project his problems onto Jim and that there were other fish in the sea besides Angela, but I thought his efforts to be a good friend should have been recognized too.

I agree, aside from just mentioning Pam really didn’t deserve what Andy was saying behind her back, (which is the result of his projecting as you mentioned). Plus, Andy DID put up with Angela. I’m not sure Jim’s neediness outranks hers. :slight_smile:

Yes, the Nard-Dog does seem to like to help out his fellow co-worker, whether they want it or not.
:smiley:

I didn’t expect The Office to suddenly become hilarious again. This ep and the two last have been great, and I’m glad that you people can see that too, so the writer’s are not just working in vain. (Which is a feeling I get with some tv shows.)

Tall.
Beets.

Deleted scene:

RYAN: When you mess with my family, I can’t be responsible for my actions.

PAM: When are you ever responsible for your actions?

RYAN: Get off my ass, you hag.

MICHAEL: Hey, hey, hey. Something about that seems inappropriate. … Betrayal ain’t just a river in Egypt.