The Office: "Heavy Competition" (Open Spoilers)

Dwight is a great salesman because he avoids the run-around. He knows all the details about what he’s selling and answers questions straightforwardly. You know exactly what you’re getting from him.

Especially when Pam yawned and got hit by two cheeseballs. :smiley:
I was disappointed that we didn’t see New Kelly in this episode. :frowning:

One of which remained lodged, undetected, in the curl of her hair.

I need to incorporate the spinmove in my business life.

Ryan too, since he’s a convicted white-collar criminal now.

“Bastard!”

He also once mentioned going out drinking with either his laser tag or paintball team, in the episode where Jim tricked him into thinking Thursday was Friday.

Dwight took Ryan to a bar after his initiation.

I’m glad the writers didn’t let Micheal get a lucky sale. He actually knows what he is doing. This episode pretty much confirms that he can be a great salesman if he wants to be. The other episodes danced around it, but now we know he’s pretty good.

Usually when Micheal confronts someone about anything, he loses. It’s nice to see him destroy someone in a competition. Micheal didn’t do anything stupid at all during that sales meeting. It was a flawless victory.

I also liked how both Stanley and Philips knew that Dwight was in trouble. We rarely get to see the salesmen making sales. So we don’t know much about what they think of each others talents. It was pleasing to see Stanley and Philips acknowledge Micheal’s sales skills, and Dwight absolutely in fear of them.

Will we see Micheal go against Stanley or Philips? Jim? That would be awesome to watch.

Michael has actually beat Dwight quite a few times, even in a fight once.

Do you mean Phyllis?

See, that’s the thing. When Michael is on his game he cannot be beat; it’s why he got promoted to his level of incompetence. Dwight became assistant to the branch manager because he is both an adequate salesman and a good flunky for Michael. He will never rise above that imaginary position. Stanley, Phyllis, and Jim are also at their levels of incompetence: they don’t care enough to do more than what is needed to not get fired. Maybe they could rise to a challenge, but it’s too much trouble.

Cool link. Wasn’t aware of that term. They even reference The Office, (and Office Space which is the first thing that came to mind after reading your post, particularly; “they don’t care enough to do more than what is needed to not get fired”, which is something the protagonist, Peter, basically says to the Bobs).

The Peter Principle may have been treated as satire, but it is also one of the most important business books ever published. It lures you in by being funny, but it keeps you by being true. You’ll never see your co-workers or bosses in the same way.

The Dilbert Principle expands on it, and its final chapter is better and more insightful than any business book I ever read. But, because both revile the incompetence of those who outrank you, which is patently obvious to you and your lunch crowd, your boss will never require you to read them. Instead, you can, on your own, read and use them; you are then at an advantage over your cow-orkers.

The Dilbert Principle applies to The Office as well. We all wondered how Michael got to be the boss/middle managment, The Dilbert Principle helps explain this a little.

Edit: then again, how could he skrew up so badly as a salesman. Dwight’s a goof too, could HE be the boss?

Dwight’s alter-ego in England did become the boss, but only because Jim’s alter-ego turned the job down.

I know. I have to watch that again.

Dwight SORT OF got to be the boss, and painted his office black.

Was there a meta joke in there? Jim or Pam was talking about how Andy was going to marry Angela, but he found out she’d been “sleeping with Dwight for years… years? How could that be? Yeah, that timeline doesn’t quite add up”.

When Michael and Dwight were on the phone and Michael didn’t understand who the “Will-Smith-like hero was” he asked “is it Charles?.. Stanley?”

I…understand…NOTHING!!!

I think Michael works as a salesman because he thinks of all his customers as friends, and genuinely enjoys being in their offices talking to them. If he loses a customer, I think he’s more let-down about the “friendship” than the sale.

One of the series’ best moments was when we saw a video of ten-year-old Michael Scott (wearing a suit!) on a puppet-oriented children’s show, explaining that what he wanted to do when he grew up was “have a hundred kids so I can have a hundred friends and nobody can say no to being my friend.” It’s impressive when a child can get a fuzzy hand puppet to stare at him speechlessly.