The Office: "Heavy Competition" (Open Spoilers)

“Look at that old dude and his roladex go!”
“I thought Michael Scott left the paper business after his nervous breakdown.”
“Go to our spot and walk 100 feet…towards the sun…noon…you have 2 seconds.”

Grain alcohol and rain water.

-Joe

Hopefully she somehow implemented his color coding system on the blackberry, so Michael doesn’t turn into Dwight.

Thanks for the link.

I’ve been somewhat worried about how they’re going to end this character arc. I was really hoping that it doesn’t end with Miner getting fired for the Scranton branch going to shit, and David Wallace begging Michael Scott to come back to his old job, ensuring that everything in the Office world going back to normal.

Speaking of which, does anybody know if David Wallace is named after David Foster Wallace? They seem to have nothing in common, so I assume it’s probably a coincidence, but it’s who I always think of whenever Wallace is mentioned.

I’d guess that Dwight would drink something German - and not Beck’s either – more like some obscure import in a gigantic, eccentric looking bottle and with a 7 syllable, virtually unpronounceable German name.

I don’t know any of David W Wallace’s work, but I do know that he’s John Krasinski’s favorate author. I think I read that’s how Wallace got his name. Plus Krasinski adapted to screenplay and directed this:

He definitely yelled spinmove.

“Did Mose fall into the well again?”
“No, I roped it off.”

Heh. Mose is dead to me - it’s baseball season, and I have no Ken Tremendous.

(Apologies for the total hijack for people who have zero idea what I’m talking about.)

Somewhere Joe Morgan is laughing.

I would guess that Dwight doesn’t drink because it dulls the reflexes and leaves him vulnurable to attack.

See, I would think that Dwight is impervious to alcohol. But something like apple juice would bring him to his knees.

I loved that Dwight changed out of his white long-sleeved shirt into his short-sleeved mustard color one on his way to stop Michael stealing the client. And then he changed back in the parking lot.

Another funny gag was Pam writing notes to Michael because he kept missing the point of what Dwight was saying on the phone.

Well, we know if you try to buy him a drink, he’ll discard it to guard against being drugged. But ISTR him holding a beer while at the bar with Michael & Ryan in NY.

I also liked the awkward handshake between Dwight and Charles.

“Firm.”

I can see why Michael is such a great salesman, what i don’t get now is how Dwight is also a great salesman while being so completely socially inept.

I think Dwight’s mistake was getting outside of his own style and trying to adopt Michael’s without really knowing what he was doing. Dwight’s own sales style is clipped and impersonal but efficient in its own way. He’s direct, focused, knowledgable and efficient.

Last night’s episode showed Dwight being inept at using Michael’s techniques. He can’t pull off the act of being your best friend who remembers that your daughter has a nut allergy, even when he has that information at his fingertips. His technique is to point out how badly things will go wrong if you stay with your current supplier, and terrifying and bullying you into buying from him.

I loved Michael’s rolodex notes for Dwight:

Tall.

Beets.

Pretty much a winnah for all characters. The writers seem to be having a tough time coming up with plot devices for the Jim character, now that the sexual tension is gone.