The Official E3 2008 Thread

Those are all kind of right.

Bungie is absolutely working on “another Halo game” (not exactly Halo 4 apparently), but they are also working on some super secret project that’s not Halo. No one knows which one they would have announced the other day. But we do that both are published by Microsoft and both are (obviously) coming only to the 360.

Then later in the day, a Microsoft exec (can’t remember which one) said that any talk of more Halo would be pushed back to a special dedicated event because the Final Fantasy XIII announcement was such big news. And he’s right, over everything else at this E3, that’s the announcement that will linger over everything else.

So basically, they got the word out (quietly) that another Halo game is in the works, but didn’t make a big deal out of it because there’s probably nothing to show yet.

Marathon: The Revenge of Bob!

Clearly they’ve held back announcing so as to further work on the complex, impressive A.I. needed for such a project. :wink:

Right, it’s Halo without Master Chief. Halo Advanced Recon Fighter, or something to that effect.

That’s the rumor, but a new Halo game is all that’s official.

And I think Microsoft is thrilled that they were able to announce it to please the Halo fans, but make it low key enough that when it’s revealed, it’ll still be a big deal.

I thought the next Halo game was going to be an RTS called Halo Wars or has that been scrapped? Or is this an entirely new Halo game?

There are actually three Halo games in the works:

– Halo Wars (coming this year)
– The Peter Jackson Halo Project (unknown genre, unknown release date)
– Bungie’s next Halo game (rumored to be a squad-based FPS)

Correct (as far as I or any other civilians know).

I enjoyed that article. Quite interesting and well-written (if a little long).

It’s a good analysis of why the Wii is successful, but it remains to be seen if they can execute on the strategy he describes. If Nintendo wants to move consumers upmarket the underpowered nature of the Wii is going to stand in way of that. Nintendo may discover that they’ve brought huge numbers of new people into the gaming market who then migrate to the PS3 or the 360 when they decide they want something prettier or deeper or more challenging.

But Nintendo has already executed on the strategy he describes. The Wii sells more consoles per month than the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined. The Wii also has more titles in the NPD monthly top ten than any other system.

There’s no measurement you can use that doesn’t show the Wii as a resounding success. To say “it’s not there yet” is madness.

As for Wii fans jumping ship. I don’t see it. As we’ve seen from next-gen console conversations here, the Wii plays to a different audience than the PS3/Xbox 360 and I highly doubt fans of the Wii would completely abandon the Wii even if they did want to try the Xbox 360 or PS3.

I agree with you. I’m not arguing with the fact that the Wii is a huge success. But if you look at the game charts you’ll see that the PS3 and 360 adoption curves are tracking almost exactly with the adoption curves of the PS2 and XBox. The Wii isn’t succeeding because it’s pulling gamers away from Sony and Microsoft. It’s succeeding because it’s bringing a whole new group of people to the party.

And this is where I think the original article breaks down. He assumes that the end-game of all this is that Nintendo will use their low-end dominance to crowd Sony and Microsoft out of the high end. I think the hardware limitations of the Wii make it very unlikely that this will happen. It just doesn’t have the horsepower to deliver an experience like GTA4 and there’s still lots of people out there who want that sort of experience.

Please understand that I’m not criticizing Nintendo at all. The Wii was a brilliant move and they’re making buckets of money off of it. I just don’t think it spells doom for Sony and Nintendo the way the original article implies it does. The game market is large enough to support both a low and a high end.

Hmm, I didn’t read it that way at all. I thought he was saying that when Wii owners want to graduate to a high end game, they’d do it with one of the Wii’s more hardcore titles (like Metroid Prime 3 or Zelda or The Conduit) rather than making the jump to the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Really, there’s no such thing as a casual or hardcore gamer to me. Ther are just video games and people that play them. To me, the Wii is putting out a worse product. It’s as simple as that.

Crap. Really, I should stop the hijack. I won’t say any more on my disappointment with the Wii.

This might sound like a really dumb desire but I’d really like an upgrade to the Miis.

The fat ones aren’t really that fat, the skinny ones aren’t all that skinny, ditto short and tall, and the faces, hair and clothes are really lacking. There are also very few skintone options, and nothing that really approximates the average Mexican.

I am not a graphics whore AT ALL but the simplicity of the Miis does annoy me a little bit. It’s not like they did something intentionally minimalist. It comes off more like they just didn’t put much effort into it.

So, the reason I’m posting this in this thread - is there any rumor of this coming?

None that I’ve heard, but I agree, the Mii maker needs to be updated.

Now watch as I drag this thread kicking and screaming back to E3 news with something that is so awesome it’ll make your head explode:

Mega Man 9 boxart

Wow, that is really cool. Are you sure it’s real, though? Looks like fanart to me.

Is there a trailer or any more info on this game?

Nevermind, I found the trailer. It looks awesome - Mega Man was one of my favorite series of games. It looks to be download only, though. Why would there be box art?

It’s “real” in the sense that Capcom made it. The only place you’ll likely see it though is on Xbox.com and the like as even XBLA titles have “boxart” listed in their game profile.

To be awesome, of course.