The origin of cop...

I read once that “cop” stood for constable on patrol.

This is a common misconception, but has nothing at all to back it up.

A good short piece on the origin of cop comes from The Word Detective:

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Board, smellincoffee, we’re glad to have you with us.

When you start a thread, it’s helpful to other readers if you provide a link to the Staff Report upon which you are commenting. In this case, Straight Dope Staff Report: Why are the police called cops, pigs, or the fuzz?

Expano has provided info on why “constable on patrol” is highly improbable, and just a cute coincidence. I also addressed it in the Staff Report:

We had a discussion over in Cafe Society on a related issue a few weeks ago, the meaning of the phrase, “it’s a fair cop” in British slang: Monty Python question: “It’s a fair…”.

I posted the following on the common law of arrest, which helps to explain why “cop” became slang for a person who arrests another:

Apparently, the following cannot be said enough: Any etymology for a word that’s more than 100 years old that claims it comes from an acronym is wrong. With only a couple of exceptions, there are no acronyms which originated before 1910.

The exception that’s true but that nobody believes is “O.K.”

(Which is an abbreviation, not an acronym, strictly speaking, but it’s still enough of an aberration given the rule of thumb that it warrants mentioning, I think.)

In English. Other languages (especially Hebrew) are loaded with them.

John W. Kennedy writes:

> Other languages (especially Hebrew) are loaded with them.

Can you give us some examples? Tell us how the word originated and when. I’ve never heard about this.

O.K. is an initialism, not an acronym, but, yes, even initialisms were rare before 1910.

As an example of Hebrew, the Hebrew bible is made up of three sections: Pentateuch (Torah in Hebrew), Prophets (Neve-im in Hebrew), and Writings (K’suvim in Hebrew) and the entire bible has been called TaNaKh (an acronym) for well over a thousand years.

Some more examples in Hebrew, and some examples in other languages, please?

What’s the difference between an initialism (I’ve never heard that term before) and an acronym? And, if you’re feeling generous, the difference of those from abbreviations?

An acronym spells a word. Frex: self-contained underwater breathing apparatus = SCUBA, which people pronounce “skooba” instead of spelling out “S-C-U-B-A.” Random access memory = “RAM,” said as a word, “ram.” Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation = “LASER.”

Contrast, say, “automated teller machine,” for which people use the letters, “A-T-M,” instead of saying “attim” or something.

In common usage, however, acronym covers all cases. I consider making the distinction between initialism and acronym pedanticism of the highest order unless you are in a formal discussion of the language. This thread doesn’t qualify under my definition.

Exapno Mapcase writes:

> In common usage, however, acronym covers all cases. I consider making the
> distinction between initialism and acronym pedanticism of the highest order
> unless you are in a formal discussion of the language. This thread doesn’t
> qualify under my definition.

It’s a distinction that’s been made frequently in SDMB threads. Threads that discuss supposed etymologies for words that involve acronyms are very common on this board. I’d say that there have been at least a couple dozen of them over the history of the SDMB. Many of those threads have someone making the distinction between acronyms and initialisms. I have never been the one to bring up that distinction before, but I have once or twice gotten the withering scorn of other posters when I failed to make that distinction.

On the other hand, never in any of those older threads has anyone claimed that the rule “No acronym etymologies before 1910” only applied to English. I have never heard on the SDMB or anywhere else about these non-English pre-1910 acronym etymologies, and I would like to know some more of them. Could someone please give us some more examples of them?

Number Four on the Top Ten list of alternate SDMB mission statements. :wink:

You might have a better chance with opening a thread asking that question over in GQ. I know some of the linguists on our boards check those threads. --this is in regard to the pre 1910 acronyms in non-english languages question.

FWIW, even today one might cop a feel or cop a glance, in both cases meaning to take quickly.

Yeah, and it’s always burned me. I finally had to say something.

Next time tell them it’s utter nonsense, up with which you will not put. :slight_smile:

I always heard that police back in the day were reffered to as coppers by some people because of the large copper buttons on their jackets. This slang term was then shortened to “cop”.

That one is also not true.