The Perfect Storm

Ironically, I actually saw this movie today, after posting last night that I never would. I was with some people, blah blah blah. Trust me, I didn’t want to.

After seeing it, I stand by my previous post. Sucked. Donkey. Balls. Suck suck suck suck suck sucked. The people I was with who wanted to see it agreed. If you really feel you must see, go an hour late. Everything that happens during that time can be replaced with a graphic that says, “They have people at home that care about them.” You won’t have missed anything. Hell, you won’t have missed anything by staying home, either.

Man, what a crappy movie.

Have any of you read the book? I found it pretty gripping. And while there is necessarily loads of conjecture about the Andrea Gail, they also folow the stories of a few other ships which did survive. Their accounts are pretty good–and believable.

The crab thing gave me such a giggle.

I really enjoyed the book, and the one good thing about the movie was that it helped me to have a better understanding of some of the technical aspects of fishing and of the helicopter-rescue process. I also thought the special effects were great.

However, I thought the script and much of the acting sucked. I started to get a sinking feeling early on, when Marky Mark’s girlfriend burst out with: “Why do I even love you?!” Even people whom I have seen in other movies and who are generally considered to be good actors were dragged down by this movie.

The book was largely conjecture, but I thought it had a sort of understated tone, unlike the overwrought movie.

I forgot to mention one of the most annoying parts, which was that weird, stilted-acting meteorologist.

The fishermen have a tough job? What about the people jumping off helicopters to rescue their stupid asses?

Oh, and was anyone else annoyed by the framed 8x10 pictures at the funeral? when did THOSE get taken?

YES! That was so asinine. If those were the best pictures available, hire a damn police sketch artist.

Thank you! Very classy warning up front. Bonus points.

spoilers*

I saw it last night and I for one thought it was an entertaining movie. A lot of the plot was fluff, but then again, most movies are full of fluff. There were some weak scenes (like underwater visibility thing - and notice that when he was swimming towards the surface at the end, the surface was illuminated, by, like, light, like, from the sun or something. IN A HURRICANE!) but for the most part it was good. And (spoiler) how many movies end with all of the protagonists getting killed in the end?

I would recommend it. The action scenes and effects are pretty damn good and the pace of the movie is OK. A lot of the action is so intense (waves, rain, wind, large metal objects flying through the air) that it’s almost uncomfortable to watch. The storm scenes are very very entertaining.

My biggest gripe is with the development of the weatherman or other scientific scenes. It would have been interesting to have seen more of the science behind the storm, though I suspect it was left out because 99% of the population wouldn’t understand or care. NBD.

Oh, it was bad.

First, since Clooney and Wahlberg were in this movie, I came in expecting a great movie * ala Three Kings*. So my expectations may have been artificially high.

Second, as others have said, the characters failed to elicit any sympathy from me as to their impending plight.

Third, the initial fifteen minutes of the movie attempted (but failed miserably) to make us care about these people.

Fourth, the incessant near miss decapitations and drownings while the Andrea Gail fought the winds and waves were so lame.

In short, I hated it and I’m not happy about it.

The worst part about the marketing of this movie is that they are now focusing on the special effects, rather than the story itself.

I just got back from seeing it.

[quote]
The worst part about the marketing of this movie is that they are now focusing on the special effects, rather than the story itself.*

That might be because they realize that’s all it’s got going for it. Character development was ghastly. If the cut out all the wives and kids part it would be a better (and mercifully shorter) movie. Just plain bad acting, too. I think bad acting is most annoying when it involves portraying stuff that you know is meant to elicit some emotion from you, the viewer, and it doesn’t work.

I did enjoy some of the storm scenes, particularly the chopper stuff and the final sinking. Some of it got me wondering how they did it. All in all, though, thumbs down.

They should’ve ended it as the last guy bobbed around in the ocean.

I hate to say this, but I thought it was OK… not great, not Oscar material, but OK.

Certainly well above the bar placed by the feces Hollywood usually plonks down every summer. It’s about time they made an action movie for adults.

But you know what really pissed me off?

Up until the end, and I mean the very end, my subconcious was waiting for the Hollywood ending. I kept expecting the entire soggy crew of the Andrea Gail to come slogging into the funeral hall, all lined up like the gang from The Right Stuff, dripping water on the rug and grining like idiots.

Ugh. :mad:

FINALLY saw it tonight.

I’ve read the book five or six times and just wanted to watch to see how badly they mangled it.

If I was forced to rate it I’d give it an “ehhhhhhhhh”. The special effects were really good, I thought. I also really enjoyed the scenes where they showed the crew setting out and hauling in the lines; Junger did a really good job explaining it in the book but it’s hard to visualize how it’s done til you actually see it. The visuals of the boat’s mess and crew quarters were also stunning - the book couldn’t quite get across the idea of how cramped the area was.

As for the stuff that bugged me:

Junger made it quite clear that the last thing a commerical fisherman eats on board a fishing boat is more fish, yet a scene showed the crew chowing down on a little (and probably illegal) swordfish. Shark meat is valuable; they wouldn’t have shot the shark and dumped it over the side.

What pissed me off the most was the idea that the Air Guard or Coast Guard was going to go out and rescue the Andrea Gail. One of the most arresting things about the book was the fact that these men were going hundreds of miles out to sea and were, according to the book, in “God’s country”. If they get in trouble out there, they’re screwed.

Oh, and the acting sucked.

Read the book, have not seen the movie yet; probably won’t.
First off, the book kicked ass and was very believable and well-researched with respect to what it couldn’t know for fact. Moreover, it presented these bits as conjecture: “this is what most likely happened”.

However, the other day, while walking through an area with a public television, the commercial was on. This was the same on one as “toughest job on earth”, which also says “they take whatever nature throws at them”. I casually remarked, “yeah, but they all die anyway”. You wouldn’t believe the looks I got–as if I was spoiling a surprise ending or had a really morbid mind. Then it occured to me, they hadn’t read the book. From the start of the book, you know they’re gonna die. How can they make a movie and NOT have that be an integral part?