The "Pit Bull" Myth

I never said it was a good joke.

:wink:

Sure its always owner error. Strange why pits have so many more owner errors. They are far above other breeds in ratio of dog and people attacks. Maybe they just attract error prone owners. But if you encounter a loose pit ,you are more likely to be in trouble than any other breed. That means something.

Oh come now, gonzomax. There’s very little excuse for this. You were in that thread four weeks ago, too. Surely you read this information at least once in the dozen or more times it’s been posted. If you disagree with the CDC and AVMA’s conclusions on the matter, you’ll need to come up with some better justification than “everyone knows”.

There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.

Cite?
Hint: shystery dog bite attorneys don’t count.

Any dog can get nasty. And many pit bulls can be wonderful, docile pets. The problem is that when a golden or a setter or a poodle or a collie or a spaniel gets ugly you wind up with some stitches; when a pit bull gets ugly you often wind up with a headline and a funeral.

Pit bulls are not just another dog.

I realize this is a pervasive belief, but it’s very simply not true.

…with the caveat that breed reports made by dog bite victims are always suspect. Certainly some of those Lhasas and Dauchshunds might have been pit bulls in disguise. :wink:

Says who? Your “study”?:

Please. Now why don’t you get me all those headlines of golden retrievers killing people.

Um… not real sure why you think it’s “my” study, but okay. I’ll bite. Do you have any actual evidence that their results are flawed, or do you just not like them?

Okay. How about a lab puppy, are they dangerous? How about a pomeranian?

Any dog is capable of killing a person in the right circumstances. By far the single overwhelmingly consistent factor in fatal dog attacks is not breed or type, but mishandling by the owner.

Now, why don’t you get me all those reputable cites which will provide some useful, meaningful support for your claim?

Failing that, since we already know no such cites exist, why don’t you start by offering some remotely plausible explanation as to why a medium-sized dog bred to fight other dogs is more inherently dangerous in an attack than any number of much larger, much more powerful, and much more human-aggressive breeds?
Please try to stick to the topic, and please don’t try the “just because other dogs are dangerous doesn’t excuse a pit dog’s potential” quibble, because that’s not the claim I’m making.

You guys claim on one hand there is no way of knowing whether the dogs are deep in their DNA pit bulls. How do you know they aren’t/
Pit owners are like gun lovers loudly proclaiming how safe they are. Then claiming that the incidents were not pits and if they were it couldn’t be the breed. Then it has to be the owner. Anything but the breed. Except many studies that show the overwhelming incidents of Pit Bulls on top of the bite lists, were backed by vets or people who are in field like Humane Society techs… The lists were compiled by pros just to avoid the weak protestations of pit owners.

Right. It’s always the owner. The only consistent factor across the board in dog bite fatality incidents is mismanagement, whether the dog in question was a malamute, a rottweiler, a pit bull, or a pomeranian.

Oh yeah, all those reputable cites you keep mentioning? Let’s see them. It’ll be interesting, because as we’ve already established, the CDC and the AVMA do not believe any such reputable statistics to exist. They also confidently assert that the single overwhelming common factor is mismanagement of the dog: particularly unattended, free-roaming dogs, and dogs on chains. These factors are consistent, breed is not.

“Weak protestations of pit owners”? Does that include the “weak protestations” of the CDC and AVMA? :confused:

This is just an argument from ignorance.

There’s a reason why pitbulls are often chosen by people who wish to look tough and to own a badass dog; First, it is in their DNA, which is a cross between a regular bulldog and a terrier. Secondly, your sentence about Pit Bull dog attacks being more tenacious, due to a combination of physique and temperament is spot-on. They are much more dangerous due to their very strong beartrap-like jaw, which, while it doesn’t lock, it’s much stronger and wider and can clamp down even deeper, penetrating the musculature of its victim. Plus, pitbull’s noses are built back so they can still breath while they clamp down on their victims (who, btw, can be much larger than they are) and suffocate them.

The identification was made by Humane Society pros. It was not some guy on the street . But I don’t expect pit fans to concede anything.
Clifton report
America and Canadian people killed by dogs over 24 year period
264 deaths
137 pits and pit mixes-
67 rotts
Identification by Humane Society pros
Pits are extremely capable of doing damage. when a Pit has a bad moment, people get maimed or killed. You can get hurt by a Dachshund if he gets pissed, but not killed.
American dog fatalities
2005 28 57 percent by Pits
2006 30 53 percent by Pits
2007 35 57 percent by Pits
2008 23 65 percent by pits

When someone gets killed by a dog, they have dog professionals in charge.

Nonsense. Your whole post reads like a laundry list of pit bull myths. At least you got the “no locking jaw” bit right.
Let’s take this piece by piece, shall we? First off, are you… serious? “‘Badass’ is in their DNA, which is a cross between a regular bulldog and a terrier”? Why is a bulldog and terrier cross badass down to their DNA in a way that, say, a 100lb dog bred to attack human beings is not? Why would a bulldog and terrier mix be more fundamentally badass than, oh, I don’t know, a dog bred to fight wolves?

Now, as for their “very strong beartrap-like jaw”, is it more beartrap-like than the jaws of these dogs, bred to clamp down on 500lb wild boar and not let go 'til death do us part? Are their jaws bigger and stronger, their noses more recessed than these dogs, mastiffs? Are their heads stronger and wider than all of these dogs? Because a fair number of those breeds are two to three times as large as pit dogs, with in some cases identically-shaped heads. How come a pit bull’s head is somehow built for maximum carnage, and this dog’s is not?
You assert that a pit dog’s nose is “built back”, bullshit. Prognasthism is a trait of brachycephalic dogs like Boxers and Bulldogs. The UKC standard for pit dogs calls for an underbite as a* serious fault.* See the dog in that photo? Does his nose look “set back” to you? Here are very famous historic pit dogs. Do their noses look “set back” to you?

Contrary to the unmitigated urban legend crap spewed in your post, pit dogs do not have a bite any stronger than any other breed of dog, and though they are tenacious, they are no more tenacious than any other high-drive working breed. There is no reputable research to support a claim that a pit dog has a bite force higher than any other breed. Dr. Barr of National Geographic did a small test to measure relative bite force in different species of animals, and though the sample sizes are too small for definitive answers, the results were as follows:
Crocodiles: 2,500lbs PSI
Hyenas: 1000lbs
Snapping Turtles: 1000lbs
Lions: 600lbs
White Sharks: 600lbs
The three breeds of dogs tested, a GSD, a Rottweiler, and an APBT averaged 320lbs PSI. The pit dog came in *last * of the three breeds tested.

Haha, you mean, this Humane Society, the one that puts out this informational flyer?
“When someone gets killed by a dog, they have dog professionals in charge”? What does that mean?

Please try to keep up, gonzomax. The Clifton report has been debunked ad nauseum ten ways to Tuesday in every pit thread that comes along.

Emphasis mine.

…Wait,* what? * I just realized what you were saying here. Dogs in the Clifton report weren’t identified by “Humane Society pros”, they were identified by *the dog bite victims themselves. * That’s what makes it such *utterly useless crap. *

Furthermore, “Humane Society pros” are no better at identifying mixed-breed dogs by phenotype than anyone else. In fact, they fail with rates we’d call “gross incompetence” in any other field.

1. V. Voith, E. Ingram, K Mitsouras, et al, "Comparison of Adoption Agency Identification and DNA Breed Identification of Dogs, Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, July 2009.

Oh, and just as a shoutout to LHOD who may or may not be lurking, if you want to come on in and try your “nuanced argument” again, I’d be more than happy to demonstrate a second time why your claims are unsupported by science… though I think we did a pretty thorough job of it four weeks ago.
Here, for example, are my last few responses to you, which garnered no response then.

I bring this up because in the parent thread, LHOD expressed the feeling that I had dismissed his claims out of hand, or had woefully misunderstood him. I’d hate to think I had not done my job adequately, so rest assured** LHOD** I’m absolutely more than happy to revisit and explore the delicate nuances of your argument, any time you like.

Actually Pit owners would debunk the Clifton Report because it disagrees with their emotionally held beliefs. I recognize that pit owners will concede nothing but the truth is there are some characteristics of pits that appeal to people who should not have any dog. They buy them, breed them, mistreat them and unleash them on the neighborhood. Would a normal well treated pit be dangerous. Maybe not, but i can not tel, the difference. Sure they are big and strong and fearless. But the ones I encounter running free are not well trained pets. The ones I meet in the park are not being controlled by the owners. That is the facts that we deal with. The one we encounter may well be a loose fighting dog. If we see a beagle running free ,our first reaction is to see if we can help it. A loose pit will be shunned for logical personal safety reasons. It is simply not the same thing. A loose rott will engender the same reaction. A dog that is capable of doing severe damage will scare you if it is loose. It is a correct reaction .

Even conceding your point, what difference does it make *why *something is debunked? Do you know what debunk means?

The Clifton report is useless. There is no way to verify the identifications, and no way to know how large the population of specific dog breeds is.

Is the AVMA controlled by a secret cabal of pit owners? What about the CDC?

As for the rest of your post, you may be surprised to hear that I agree with it in its (near) entirety. The one point of contention I have is with your ultimate conclusion… that this is somehow the fault of the *breed *of the dog. You spent the entire post describing all the behaviors to which very nearly all severe and fatal dog attacks are directly attributable, summed up: “people who should not have any dog”. These same people would not be raising stable, well-socialized, obedience trained huskies or Australian shepherd mixes, either, would not be keeping them contained and under control, or spay and neuter them.
This is like claiming some particular type of car is dangerous because the types of people who tend to like them drive them recklessly.

We believe the same things about loose, unattended, poorly socialized and untrained dogs. The main difference between you and me is that I am every bit as cautious about handling a loose Husky or Dauchshund or Cocker Spaniel, because I don’t fool myself about the potential these dogs have to bite, or to inflict damage if they do. I don’t know if that stray is half Chow and potentially very volatile, or with herding breed background and thus potentially inclined to be mouthy or snappish… because I can’t read its DNA, nor do I know anything about its particular history, whether it’s been socialized or not, how reactive it might be in stressful situations, and so on and so forth.

I just have a lot more experience handling random-source dogs than most people. In any case, the consistent factor overall in the vast, overwhelming majority of dog bite cases is not that it is “scary looking”. The consistent factor is mismanagement. Additionally, 80% of bites inflicted upon children were caused by either the family dog, or a friend’s dog. This brings us back around to the discussion about how you cannot relax your vigilance, even around friendly, stable, familiar dogs.

Dog bites are a big problem. Look at the numbers:

* About 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.
* Almost one in five of those who are bitten :a total of 885,000: require medical attention for dog bite-related injuries.
* In 2006, more than 31,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs. 

Dog bite fatalities are so statistically insignificant as to be considered a “freak occurrence”. According to the CDC: “Each year, 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs. These bites result in approximately 16 fatalities; about 0.0002 percent of the total number of people bitten.” Your inclination to casually handle a stray beagle is far… far more likely to get you injured than your concerns over a freak pit bull mauling. Beagles are famously “bitey” dogs. Of course it’s natural to be fearful of a dog capable of doing severe damage, the catch is… you’re pointing to the least important factor in using phenotype to determine whether or not a dog is “capable of doing severe damage”.

[Homer Simpson] I call the big one “Bitey.” [/Homer Simpson]