Little snippets of songs can be quite poetic and express just what you want to say.
And plus, maybe it’s just fun. The point in “Fun”
Why are people so opposed to a tiny bit of fun in a dreary, grim world. Yep. Just fun.
Don’t over think it.
Little snippets of songs can be quite poetic and express just what you want to say.
And plus, maybe it’s just fun. The point in “Fun”
Why are people so opposed to a tiny bit of fun in a dreary, grim world. Yep. Just fun.
Don’t over think it.
You should have stopped here, where you were presenting your thoughts and perspective. Instead you had to go on, as you so often do, and tell us what’s wrong with us people and how we should think and live our lives.
Please, learn when to stop.
It is better when sung by Elmer Fudd.
So sorry. I thought I did fine on that post.
Excuse, please.
(I didn’t mean you personally)
Moderating
Please drop it, both of you.
@Beckdawrek , there was no need to criticize other posters
@Roderick_Femm , if you must react, please just report posts like that. You, too, went on to attack the poster, not just the post. And that’s the sort of “attack the post” that we ask to be restricted to moderators.
And Beck, your next post is just bickering in the thread. Please report the criticism of you and step away next time.
No warnings issued.
The original Fire thread actually originated in MPSIMS close to a decade ago now. At the time we already had an ongoing song lyric thread in Thread Games, but when the first Fire thread got moved over there it pretty much took over and made that thread moribund.
The tl;dr rule is use something which parallels a line, motif, or theme in the previous set of lyrics; not any more complicated than that.
I am always amazed at these kinds of “Same planet, different universes” kinds of perspectives. I was literally weaned on the Beatles, and as a preteen Bernie Taupin’s lyrics for Elton John’s tunes certainly exhibited a lot of depth and clever wordplay that deeply appealed to me. By the mid-80’s I had graduated to Steve Kilbey of the Church for my lyrical fix.
For me lyrics are an absolutely indispensible and crucial part of my musical enjoyment, something by this point I cannot imagine doing without. Now, I certainly do enjoy non-singing pieces, incl. some classical, but for example someone put in King Crimson’s Moonchild the other day, so I naturally used the Fields of the Nephilim cut of the same name (NOT a cover note), as both are very meaningful cuts for me, sharing a lot of the same themes natch.
I’m on team “rarely notice lyrics, sometimes hear them wrong in ways that amuse my husband”, fwiw.
I play in a band, and in regular jam groups. I am often mocked for the extent to which I am oblivious to song lyrics - including on songs we’ve played hundred of times. And people will comment on how meaningful particular lyrics are to them - of which I am oblivious. Often I will not even know what a song is “about.”
Unless I’m singing lead, a line or 2 at most will stand out to me. But the rest is pretty much just another instrumental line - expressing the melody.
I’m a member of what I call “Team Vocals Are Just Another Instrument in the Arrangement” when I listen. And yes, someone may note that I’ve been making regular-ish contributions to the “Fire and Rain” thread, which would indeed run counter to that. It has surprised me a great deal, how many lyrics I remember now that I’m trying to make those song-to-song connections the thread asks for. I guess they just sink in.
(But I do look them up on lyrics sites before posting, as I’m sure other contributors do, because I trust that people posting them there have a greater chance of actually getting them right than I do.)
Sorry, mistake
Just saw your post when this thread recently resurfaced.
The Beatles were actually one of the few bands that I could generally hear the lyrics. And The Cars for some reason.
But Elton John? I was lucky to pick up snippets of Bernie Taupin’s choruses, and that was it. Despite hearing Elton John’s songs literally hundreds of times over the decades, the lyrics have been complete gibberish to me—until a few months ago when I listened to them again after watching the Rocketman movie…this time with the printed lyrics visible for the first time on Apple Music.
I got several days of “Ohhhh, that’s what he’s singing!”
I’d listened to Tiny Dancer for decades without understanding what kind of sheets he was being laid down in. Then there came a time when I was in a group of people watching a TV show where someone was singing a cover version, and they clearly pronounced the word. Three people in the group simultaneously exclaimed, “oh LINEN!”.
In Elton John’s “Step Into Christmas”, there’s a line that sounds (to me) kind of like “hey, can you feel me?” I eventually looked it up on a lyrics site and he’s saying “eat, drink and be merry”. But even knowing what the lyrics are, I still can’t hear them!
Yeah, his songs tend to be riddled with mondegreens as a consequence. For example, in High Flying Bird every lyric site insists this is the correct line:
I wore a chain upon my wrist that bears no name
I have always heard it as:
I wore a chain upon my wrist that bears your name
The problem is that his British accent (despite him usually singing in an “American” accent, something he has in common with many if not most UK singers) breaks through here, and he drops the “r” at the end of “your”, so it sounds like “yo”, which the mondegreeners who infest the lyric sites duly transcribed as “no”.
I could be here all day with such examples.
I remember someone saying how Pearl Jam’s “Jeremy” is a sad song because it’s about teenage suicide (which was news to me). I’ve heard it many times and the only lyrics I can remember are something like “Jeremy’s fallen again”. Wrong – it’s “Jeremy spoke in class today”.
So out of the whole song, the only lyric I correctly remember is “Jeremy” and I’m pretty sure I only got that one correct because it’s the name of the song!