The Pope says I'm a Nazi - or Godwin in one step

There was no point in him saying these things if he didn’t think they applied to us.

Besides which, a few days ago Cardinal Walter Kasper, another ancient German reactionary shit, described the UK as being like a third world country overun with aggressive secularism.

The really ironic thing about this is that the one group that have really benefited from secularism are the Catholics. Eighty years ago Scottish Protestants used to sing songs about wading to the knee in Fenian blood. Mines and Factories used to have signs over them saying no Catholic need apply. Now no one gives a shit whose a Catholic and whose an Anglican, that’s the benefit of a secular society.

If you ever want to guarantee to not have a beer with a Nazi, all you gotta do is hang out with the antipope. That guy’s alright.

Right. Let’s go to the tape.

Now, we see here that some paragraphs separate the passage about WWII (which was complimentary toward Britain) and the later passage about secularism. Now, it seems to me to be a challenge to Britain to live up to its ideals previously well expressed.

Yeah, it’s either that, or “don’t let them secularists interfere with our collection plate”.

-Joe

Apparently you missed this part:

I bolded the important bit. He’s saying that *all *atheists must eventually come to the conclusion that people have no value and therefore become monsters.

Excellent selective quoting - you missed out this bit :rolleyes:

Yeah, what’s your point? That line is terrible, too–the Nazis executed Christians who stood up to them, and they also executed atheists who stood up to them. They also loved the Christians who supported them. Nothing changes the fact that he says that atheism, by its very nature, leads to atrocities.

The day a head of state openly snubs the Pope will be a happy day indeed.

My point was the same as yours - and it was aimed at Mr. Moto.

He selectively quoted the white robed bigot and missed out the bigoted bit.

Gott mit uns!

Benedict got around one-fifth of the crowd that John Paul II did, in the same venue at Bellahouston Park. That’s the only two Popes to have ever visited Glasgow, about 30 years apart. JPII was obviously a much more charismatic and important figure, but that’s a hell of a drop off.

So, are we atheist supposed to be rounding up Jews now? Let me know, I have a list.

And I got dibs on Jake Gyllenhaal!

How sweet. Perhaps you’ll get the matching scarf for Christmas.

There you go, then. Might want to indicate who you’re replying to, *especially *since his giant quote *did *include that bit–it was where I pulled it from, in fact.

I almost spat all over my keyboard. Stop that. … Or do more of it.

Honestly, the message of that part seems to be “Remember the Nazis? They were bastards of the highest order, and you stood among others against them. With that example of a secular regime in mind, bear in mind that a lack of religion leads, inevitably, to a reduction in the concept of a person’s inherent worth”.

He isn’t saying that atheists, or secularism in general, in the UK today, are comparable to the Nazis. He’s saying that without religion, however, things like the Nazis may well take power, because secularism inevitably leads to devalued human lives. And that, later on, Christianity is a necessary and foundational requirement for the freedoms we enjoy; hence, without Christianity, we would not have those freedoms.

While I certainly disagree with the Pope on those points, I cannot find much fault with them other than that. On the other hand, I certainly do not agree that the British Humanist Association has overreacted, and in particular the notion that we should let the Pope be Pope but British Humanists not British Humanists seems a bit hypocritical. That all in mind, he is the Pope. Of course he believes we are inevitably lost without religion. That’s the whole point of his job.

Resolved: Ratzinger is a radicalised member of the New Atheist movement who is destroying Catholicism from inside.

Discuss.

He’s not saying that atheism *may *lead to Nazis; he’s saying that atheism *will *lead to Nazis.

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?” :rolleyes:

ETA:

Impossible. Anybody who hasn’t left the RCC in disgust by now is never going to. Their faith is too strong.

Exactly. And I think such implications are repugnant. It’s a “slippery slope” argument that only serves to demonise atheists and create a greater divide between believers and non-believers.

Seriously. Claiming that secularism leads to devaluing human life is offensive in itself, forget about Nazis.

I’m not so sure. Call it weasel words, especially given his linking to Nazis just above and specifically calling attention to it, but he only says secularity will lead to a reduction in the worth of human life. Not that that necessarily will be the same as it was in that particular case.

IOW: “Here’s a case where secularism caused horrible things to occur. Secularism will inevitably lead to horrible things occurring, keep the example in mind, folks”. It’s not outright stating it.