[QUOTE=jsgoddess]
To me, the line: “Pope Benedict XVI fears the decline of reason in the West” is eyebrow-raising. What I’ve seen of Benedict doesn’t make me think he’s a champion of reason. Granted, I pay very little attention, and would gladly accept correction if he is.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=intention]
I gotta confess … having the man who is the main upholder of virgin birth, saints, statues that weep blood, various miracles, and divine infallibility when speaking ex cathedra paint himself as the defender of “reason” is absolutely delicious …
w.
[/QUOTE]
What you need to understand is that despite the contradiction we in modern times (having benefited from the age of reason and enlightenment) see when the Pope or anyone religious champions reason, it was in fact the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church who were in large part responsible for preserving learning and knowledge through the Dark Ages.
Yes, much was gained from the work of Islamic scholars in the East who inherited the old Greek and Roman works and kept them alive, no question there. But much of our way of rationalizing and using logical deduction is a result of scholars of faith struggling to come to terms with the seeming contradictions between blind faith and what they can see. Throughout European history, the Church was the leading source for reason, knowledge and learning until the Renaissance opened new doors and universities broke the Church’s hold on them. So the Pope is in essence continuing a dialogue that has been going on since Roman times.
Of course, I’m no expert, so I may have missed something in there.