The Princess Bride 27 years later: Half a great movie!

My favorite scene in the second half was the grandson becoming infuriated at the story’s turn of events and demanding his grandfather get it right. The kid had been uninterested before, but the story completely drew him in and he was having the time of his life. It just showed the power of a really well-crafted story. It reminded me of the way my 4th grade teacher would read to us. Her voice would get softer and quieter for the more serious parts of the story, and we’d all be slumping forward on the edge of our seats, not wanting to miss a word.

Totally agree with the OP. The first half is fun and exciting and then the second half is just, “meh, I guess they had to wrap it up somehow.”

“Inigo… I pass de prince’s stables, and dere day wahh… foh white hosses. And I tink, dey are foh of us, if we ever find zee lady. HELLO LADY!!!

“Let me eesplain… No. There is too much. Let me sum up.”

I think the conclusion is genius. I mean, you have the princess rescued BY the people who kidnapped her in the beginning FROM the person who was trying to “free” her in the first half. How often does that happen?

Hey, there* is *one person who agrees with me! Drunky Smurf, let me buy you a goblet of wine.

Clearly, he can not take the wine that is in front of him.

I’m surprised there’s never been a Miracle Max spinoff movie. I’m not even a Billy Crystal fan and I’d probably watch it.

It would take a miracle!

I’ll try to stay awake.

“There’s a shortage of perfect breasts in this world…”

Come to think of it, Miracle Max would’ve been a hell of a role for Peter Falk.

The only thing that ‘dates’ this movie is the video game the kid plays and that horrible end credits song Storybook Love. One of the worst songs ever recorded.

I played that baseball game way back in the day! :slight_smile: And IIRC that horrible song was nominated for an Oscar…

We met Cary Elwes at the Calgary Entertainment Expo last year—he was charming and pleasant and a handsome devil, even 27 years after that role.

“The Princess Bride” was alright, I guess, if you go for that kind of thing.

“Drop. Your. Sword.”

You think an award nomination, especially an Oscar is proof something is good?

And even if it was good, a song can be good while still being dated.

Princess Bride quote AND Snowdenesque defense of “The Fappening”.

Depends on your definition of good, I suppose. On the other hand, the wretched “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” from Dirty Dancing won the Best Song Oscar, so that’s not saying much. :slight_smile: