The problem with Instructables.com

Not everything is marketed directly to you. I’ve seen instructions for cool tree houses online. I will never be able to build one, as I live in a tiny city apartment. Are those jerks just showing off how much land they have?

If this is true (and I don’t exactly disagree with the sentiment), the best solution is probably a democratic one - contribute projects of that type yourself; vote up the projects you like and approve of, and encourage your circle of contacts to do the same.

All of my own instructables are of an everyman type (in construction, that is - I happen to think they are occasionally extraordinary in their conception, of course) - and I do like projects that are physically achievable to the amateur, however, I also think it’s good to have some that are just a little bit beyond reach - to act as inspiration and encouragement to people to keep moving forward.

Having said that, I often find 3D printed projects a little bit uninspiring (for reasons stated in my previous post)

While some of the equipment at TechShop is fairly easy to use, just because something is automated doesn’t mean it’s all push-a-button-and-go. The CNC mill, for instance, requires solid experience in manual machining before you even start.

Your other criticisms revolve around the fact that large swaths of the US are rural or low-density suburban. There are lots of advantages to these places, but the fact remains that they will be deprived when it comes to anything that requires a high population density to support it–museums, theaters, and yes, makerspaces. Not to mention job availability. Even getting high speed internet can be a challenge in some places.

So it’s unfortunate that kids in such areas don’t have access to yet one more thing, but there’s no way around it unless they move. We can only hope that the equipment will become cheap enough over time that more places can afford it.

Of course, I find it ironic that the lack of amenities is what has made so many engineers and tinkerers from out in the sticks so good in the first place. How many farmer’s kids work in NASA? Robert Goddard was a prime example.
Building pipe bombs and blowing up stumps (or sloughs) is a pastime for rural kids; try that in the city and Homeland Security will have you cooling your heels in a nice cell somewhere with your name on a no fly list.
I think makerspaces and kid’s natural inquisitiveness is win-win. Not to mention what you can get mail order now.

It’s worth noting that while rare and expensive, makerspaces are a huge step up in democratization of technology. The alternative is these tools only being available to top-rate research facilities.

Or big corporations. Ford recognized this and invested in TechShop Detroit. How do you get people that know how to use CNC machining equipment when it costs tens of thousands of dollars? Well, you can train people on-site, but you still have to somehow attract people that are interested in it. You can pick up people from trade schools, but those can also be expensive. If you can get kids interested early on at relatively cheap makerspaces, then suddenly you have a talent pool to draw on in the years to come.

Agreed. There’s also something to be said about making do with what you have. Tractor broke? Even a bailing wire fix requires ingenuity and an understanding of the machinery. iPad broke? Throw it out and buy a new one. It just doesn’t cultivate the same attitude.

So cityfolk were starting from a deficit. It’s awesome that they can now use makerspaces to gain the same experience, and then some.

Well, I have made rocket fuel in my garage, but only in small quantities :).

OT, but that’s what bugged me about Norm Abram’s New Yankee Workshop. Every power tool he had had a laser, and he even had a machine that would drill square holes. Interesting to watch, but most people only have a basic set of tools.

A new place where makerspaces are showing up: public libraries.

Sure, they aren’t as full-featured as a place like TechShop. But if you can just give people a taste of what they can make on their own, especially kids… I think it’s a great thing.