The purpose of neckties

cecil, I think you have overlooked one very viable purpose of the necktie: simply to cover up the buttons on collared shirts. If you look at classic attire, you will notice that few buttons show. This is the purpose of cuflinks; to hide the otherwise ‘unsightly’ look of a button.

This also helps to explain why no one (save punk rockers) wears a tie with anyt shirt that lacks buttons. A polo has a collar, but without full lenth buttons we do not wear a tie.

LINK TO COLUMN: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/439/what-is-or-was-the-purpose-of-mens-neckties

OK, but WHY would you want to cover the buttons with a tie?

Probably because, that way, you can wear a tie.

What are we talking about here?

Believe it’s this one: What is, or was the purpose of men’s neckties?

They’re great for hiding food stains that occur during a quick lunch.

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, pagerussell, we’re glad you found us.

When you start a thread, it’s helpful to other readers if you provide a link to the column under discussion. Yes, it’s on the front page now, but in a few days it will vanish into the Archives. And, as you can see from the first few posts in response to your comment, there was some confusion. So, providing the link helps keep us all on the same page, saves searching time, and is generally nice to do. I’ve added the link to your post. No biggie, you’ll know for next time, and, as I say, welcome!

Echoing through my mind is Karl Pilkington’s advocacy of the pocket tie–“Give it a purpose.” Karl would keep his keys, his debit card, a small snack, and a pair of scissors in his pocket tie.