The Repeal of Obamacare/ACA: Step-bystep, Inch-by-inch

Well, the smart, healthy ones won’t sign up until they get sick. Bank the money they would have spent on insurance (or buy an I-phone, I guess), and, in the eventuality that they get sick enough that insurance would be a good idea, the 30% surcharge will be a bargain.

That is the adverse selection that the mandate was (feebly) attempting to prevent. This will be a true death spiral for insurance rates.

I can get behind the term “Republicare” that I’ve seen on Reddit. Make them own this shit.

Trump has endorsed Republican legislation to replace Obamacare, saying it had earned support “from everybody”. Not so fast, your Orangeness.

Assume a 40 year old person can get a Silver plan today for $400 premium/month and $3000 deductible.

With Trumpcare, you get $250/month advanceable tax credit. You’re left with $150/month premium to pay.

With Obamacare, if you make $30k/year (250%FPL) the premium cap (you pay) is $200/month (8%). You pay slightly more under Obamacare than under Trumpcare. If you are completely healthy (no healthcare costs other than premium) then Trumpcare is better.

But if you make only $15k/year (133%FPL) the premium cap is $38/month (3%). And with Cost Sharing Reduction you get $0 deductible. You pay a GREAT deal more under Trumpcare. Thousands of dollars per year at least. Am I getting this right?

So Trumpcare is good if you’re not too poor and completely healthy. Trumpcare is horrible if you’re not very rich and/or not very healthy. And this is with normal insurance, not Medicaid. I wonder how this is going to play out.

They realize it. They just don’t give a fuck.

You pay for the program with taxes like the rest of the civilized world

Exactly

We are going to see many articles analyzing the AHCA, but this one from Jonathan Chait is worth a read.

There are some tables from Kaiser Health in the article which compare subsidies. It should play well in rural America - not…

Your question is stupid. Insurance companies are not owned by the president. Nothing necessary to human life is owned by Trump. Why are you bringing up this red herring? However I would like medicare for all. I had hoped that that was in the ACA.

I agree with this whole heartedly. What are the chances though?

The problem you got here is that, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, health care isn’t free. So, if we don’t make health insurance mandatory, when someone who doesn’t have insurance gets sick, we got two options:

1. Everyone else pays for their healthcare.

2. We let the fucker die.

Which of these approaches are you advocating?

Iconic photo of woman deciding between health care and iPhone

AARP takes strong stand against WealthCare:

Januvia (Diabetes drug) in the USA: $450/month
Januvia in Canada: $107/month

That’s a whole lot of extra profit and ‘marketing’.

In a matter of days we went from “Who knew health insurance was so complicated” to “We’ve solved all the problems with the ACA.” I’m sure the Republicans’ plan is well thought-out since they have had 7 years to study the market here. It all came together over the weekend, I assume. Buh-lieve me, it’s gonna be yuge!

I’m wondering if Trumpcare isn’t supposed to be a failure - that way Republicans think they can shrug, say, “Well, we tried, but government has no place here”, and repeal Obamacare with no replacement.

Obama didn’t play four dimensional chess, he played four dimensional poker. His wonks were better than theirs.

His wonks said that even with all the poison pills that the Pubbies demanded, the efficiencies gained and the people served would catch up. If ACA could just hold on for a year or two, the ugly shit would wear off, and the efficiencies would begin to be felt. And all those people who couldn’t go to the doctor had to go at least once, to walk out into the parking lot and say “Hey! I like that!” And every one that did that was a solid bet for support.

The Republicans saw a chance to bury health care reform once and for all and nail the coffin shut. Because their wonks told them that’s what would happen. And they believed their wonks because everybody knows liberals are fuzzy thinking do-gooders who have no grasp of reality. Not hard-nosed realists, like they are! Nosir!

You know what? Obama is smarter than me! Wow!

With medical coats and insurance costs, that’s how it was before Obamacare, during Obamacare and after Obamacare.

I get that the lefties on the board will use any excuse to bash Trump and Republicans but you forget that under Obamacare BOTH insurance prices and medical costs rose. Sure everyone could get insurance and that was great but let’s not act like it made getting sick any cheaper.

I’m not sure that it’s a matter of “supposed” to rather than just that the GOP backed themselves into a corner when, for seven years, they talked about their better plan that would replace Obamacare (which obviously didn’t exist). They never thought they would have the opportunity to get rid of Obamacare, and now they can’t agree on what to actually do. So, they put out the best bill that can actually get any GOP support at all, and blame Obamacare’s entrenchment of dependency on the government when it can’t pass, and say it is now impossible to unravel. Thanks Obama!

The average employer-sponsored family premium has gone up by $4,154 under Obama, from 2008, before he took office, to 2014, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation’s annual employer survey conducted with the Health Research & Educational Trust. The catch? That’s relatively slow growth for premiums. The RNC may cast it as bad news, but it’s an improvement compared with the growth in premiums before Obama took office.
Under Bush, the average family premiums (including both what employers and employees pay) went up $4,677 in his last six years in office, from 2002 to 2008, an increase of 58 percent. That $4,154 growth under Obama is a 33 percent increase. If we look at Bush’s first six years, the discrepancy gets even bigger: From 2000, the year before Bush was first inaugurated, to 2006, the average family premium went up $5,042, or an increase of 78 percent. (See Exhibit 1.11 on page 31 of the KFF report for these numbers.)

I would need to buy a new iPhone once a month in order to wastefully spend the money I use for my insurance premiums. And it would need to be a really good iPhone, too-- a 7Plus with lots of memory.

Of course the new plan sucks, the good plan that conservatives worked on for years and years was compromised when the Democrats coopted it and called it ObamaCare.

I think the new plan might cause a cascading disaster through the insurance and health care industry. Ill be able to keep my insurance as I have a full pay zero deductible ACA plan ( a lot of posters here are disingenuous when they complain about the deductibles on ACA plans, if you don’t qualify for subsidies there are lots of plan options. I selected the no deductible plan for this year because I’ll have to have cataract surgery twice.)

But my insurer is a start-up company that was formed post-ACA to handle the new business generated by the ACA. I selected the plan because it was better and cheaper than the standard plans, which I also looked at - I had lots of choices under ACA.

But what’s going to happen if a large percentage of their subscribers drop coverage at the same time when if they stop getting those government subsidies that make it affordable for them? That’s potentially going to leave a lot of doctors and hospitals in the lurch for payments on services they’ve already provided - if my insurer is like most businesses they’re counting on this month’s premiums to pay the bills that came in last month.

They could always sue the patients since everyone has to sign that piece of paper promising to pay if their insurer doesn’t. But good luck getting blood from a stone, this could cause a crisis that spirals through the health care industry. I’m thinking the most noxious part of the new plan, the tax breaks for high paid (500,000+ a year) health insurance execs is some sort of bribe to get these guys to shut up about how toxic the plan will be for the health care industry.

Yes that the the Dem standard argument. The claim was rates would go down. When the facts showed that the growth rate decreased but that insurance premiums still went up, the Dems moved the goalposts.

So did Obamacare reduce health cost/insurance premiums as promised? No it did not. Again not saying there weren’t good points about Obamacare but don’t act like it solved all of the problems.