The Rocky Horror Glee Show (open spoilers)

I loved a lot of the lines (“A peanut allergy,” all of the first How Sue "C"s It, “Give me some chocolate or I will cut you,” and “People who dress like librarians? All sex addicts”), the costuming, and some of the musical numbers, but the plot is just ridiculously dumb and it’s getting kinda trainwreck-y in a lot of ways.

I suppose it’s a lot like the original Rocky Horror, really.

Election night?

But no MUSCLE.

Sorry.

I enjoyed it. I also don’t watch Glee for the plot, but for the music, so all the plot holes and people acting out of character don’t really bother me at all.

Plus, John Stamos.

That man really has aged well, hasn’t he? I hope I age like that.

I didn’t like it.
I didn’t like the songs. I didn’t like the plot.

I did like the shirtlessness.

Loved it. I would have liked them to do their own versions of the songs instead of mimicking the originals exactly, down to the pauses (–PATION!). So I was glad to see Frank and Magenta doing their own take on their particular songs.

Finn was a perfect Brad. Kurt was a perfect Riff. Stamos was a great Eddie. I liked how they transformed the Toucha-Toucha-Touch Me song with Brittany and Santana acting as the Magenta and Columbia. It matched up perfectly with the bi angle they are apparently going for this season.

This! And Emma as Janet… smokin’!

The Mercedes/FrankNFurter costume was really inventive. Becky as Sue’s Mini-Me is getting wonderfully creepy. Botswick & MeatLoaf gave me an Olbermann & Limbaugh vibe- and I loved when Botswick was about to explain the toast to Sue but then thought better of it.

Yes, WhyNot- Taller Columbia was Brittany.

And it makes perfect sense that Emma, with her OCD, would go from RHPS virgin to RHPS expert. Without being OCD, I have a tendency to find out all I can about something when I get interested in it.

I really do NOT get all the quibbling over plot holes and character flexibility–IT’S A MUSICAL. That’s the whole POINT, the reason why people who hate musicals hate musicals, because everything about them is in service to getting the song & dance numbers into the mix. Murphy is uncannily aware of musical tropes and plays them like an OCD Suzuki kid with a Stradivarius–this shit is intentional, yo!

That being said, how much was I wishing Puck would show up just in time to don the Frank outfit? swoon

I agree. I suspend quite a bit of disbelief every time I watch (and love) this show, but I have trouble with the more suggestive numbers/outfits – especially if Will is involved. I can accept the ever-present accompanist, the fabulous costumes, the insta-choreography, etc., but for some reason those characters are always still high school kids to me.

My guess is that a World Series game might need to be played/broadcast next Tuesday.

I agreed with Sue’s line: “When pushing boundaries is the only aim, the result is usually bad art.” Not necessarily about RHPS, but in general (cough Charlie Kaufman).

Another “liked the music, liked the shirtlessness, and the rest was meh”. The show doesn’t even try to be remotely believable any more- there’s no way in hell any school would advance Will the money for sets and to buy the rights for Rocky Horror (which even for a public high school wouldn’t be cheap) and the costumes and the like and then cancel at the last minute so no admission could be charged/money recouped, but as mentioned to me the believability shark was jumped when Artie joined the football team.

EXACTLY! What was that crap? Santana was sort of R&Bing her song too but Mercedes really butchered it.

I’m beginning to wonder if Chord Overstreet had to strip down to a jock strap and give lap dances during his audition. The guy’s cute and has a nice body (though a tanning bed wouldn’t hurt) but do they have to show him undressed in every episode?

And another vote for “odd they never mentioned Finn’s body issues before”. I wonder if there’s a relevant TV trope for when they suddenly mention something about a character that’s never been brought up before- examples I can think of from other shows was an episode of The Jeffersons in which you learn George reads several mystery novels per week (does anybody really see George as a reader?) or of Alice where they mention that Vera, who’s never been seen with a cigarette before, is a heavy smoker.

YES! a

:smiley:

♫Well here’s to me, Mrs. Robinson… ♪♫

A strong plot can make up for weak musical numbers and good musical numbers can make up for a weak plot; a strong plot and good musical numbers = something fantastic, weak plot + weak musical numbers = crap. Glee has not one, but 3 showrunners; Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, & Ian Brennan who alternate episodes. This is why Glee tends to go through massive shifts in tone between episodes.

Thank’s for the image; I’ll be in my bunk. :smiley: They need to show Chord off even more, no matter how irrelavent it seems to the plot. Eventually progressing to full-on Austin Powers style conveniently placed objects scenes.

I was never a big Stamos fan until I saw him on Broadway as the emcee in Cabaret. When I saw it was going to be him I thought, great Uncle Jesse is going to ruin this for me, but the complete opposite happened.

He has aged well, he’s 47 and every bit as great looking as he was at 20 when he was on GH.

Then lose the objects on pay-per-view.:wink:

This is spoken as a 40 something gay male- I rarely check out the butts of 40 something guys. Stamos- I’m totally checkin’ it out.

Stamos as Emcee performing Wilkommen

Now I think Kurt/Chris would kick ass as the Emcee.

But is Alanis Morissette still ticked off at him? :stuck_out_tongue:

Psssst…that was Joey, not Uncle Jesse.

I am fairly lenient when it comes to judging Glee episodes, but this episode was pretty much a big pile of suck for me.

I am pretty sure the character of Will, who was once believable as the sort of tragic/earnest nice guy with a goal to inspire kids in the shadow of his own kind of uninspired life, is completely unredeemable. Using the kids to further his relationship with Emma was suppossed to be the lesson he learned in the equally awful Britney episode. Not to mention that casting himself as Rocky wold put him in a sexually suggestive scene with Rachel and took the role away from Sam. I just don’t see him as the sweet guy I was rooting for at the end of Regionals.

Sam, who was this wonderfully awkward guy who spoke Navi, felt like he was trying to fill in Puck’s role, only it wasn’t believable, and instead of finding it endearingly douchey like I would with Puck, I found it lame and out of character. Small gripe, I know, but Sam felt mostly out of left field for most of the episode.

I can usually forgive a certain amount of inconsistency or unbelievability when it comes to Glee when in the same episode they give me great plot moments (when Will found out Teri was lying) or fantastic musical numbers (Don’t Rain On My Parade), but like all the other themed episodes, it felt like all gimick and no substance. Not to mention the fact that a school musical requires a school tryout- not the glee club randomly assigning themselves roles- for whatever reason that was just ridiculous to me.

I much prefer episodes done by Brad or Ian. Ryan murphy episodes are always a less-than-hot mess. I question his ability to deliver a cohesive plot with developed and consistent characters- the trainwreck that was Nip/Tuck being a great example. He can do some fantastic crazy moments (Sue’s corner and Becky) but often fails at the larger picture. While Ian and Brad can stumble or slip into the wacky, they give me more of the Glee that I tune in to see.

Boo. I feel like a grump, but I just keep crossing my fingers for the show that felt like the first 13 episodes - Duets, two weeks ago, was really close. I’ll still watch for the musical numbers regardless though, I just can’t help myself.

Favorite line:

“Get me some chocolate or I will cut you.” Becky