The Russians are Coming! Russian bombers seen off California coast!

NORAD scrambled fighters after Russian bombers seen off California coast. They’re still flying Tupolev Tu-95’s? Why not go the North Korean route and use a Trebuchet?

Oh well.

All your links are messed up.
Don’t use quotes in the URLs.

Not sure if this is serious or a joke but, none of your links work.

Here’s the first link. Someone else can work out the others.

Why not? We’re still flying the B-52 which is even older. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

In the bad old days I seem to recall that you had to use them if you wanted more than one link in a post. Now they’re optional I think, but you have to use the plain-vanilla straight-up-and-down double quotes. Little Pig used slanted double left quotation marks which don’t work.

The Chicago Tribune

ABC News

Both sources above say this happens an average of 10 times a year. So basically, not news.

Or only news when people feel the need to make Putin and Russia out to be a bigger threat to us than they really are.

Don’t understand why the links do not work. Followed the instructions under “How to post pictures and links” under the SDMB FAQ - Technical issues for Posting. Its the way I always post links. Am using the Chrome web browser with a new Chromebook. (Why would that cause a problem?) Will go back to Windows. Blah.

Sorry.

Your links look like:

They should look like:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-russia-bombers-20140612,0,42652.story

reposted with quotation marks removed from your links

Wait, what was the question? Is OP asking if the Russians are still using the Tupolev Tu-95 (as bibliophage already said, yes, they are) or was this meant to go in MPSIMS?

Thanks beowulff. Too strange. I copied the links and set them up according to SDMB but I did it in Google Docs (for the first time). Something must have been added. As I mentioned, just got the Chromebook.

Thanks again.

Thank you Magiver.

A blaring headline, (is California in peril?) then when reading the article it states, “Russian aircraft have flown within the ADIZ dozens of times over the past several years as part of training missions.” WTF? How is this news? Yeah, maybe should have been posted in MPSIMS.

Moderator Action

Moving thread from General Questions to Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share.

Happens all the time with ships too.

I was in the Navy for eight years, ships go on patrols to maintain relevant certifications and we’d get sent out, on occasion, to check out “stuff”.

We’d see “stuff” and take pictures. None of the “stuff” was in our territorial waters.

The do it to us over the North Sea all the time. We send a couple of fighters, they give a friendly wave, and everyone goes home for tea.

Of course it happens the other way around as well.

I was told a dirty little secret back-in-the-day re: coldwar cat and mouse between ships at sea:

“Do you see that ship over there?”
“Yeah. The front end look like its been in an accident.”
“Yup. Probably happened at sea; sometimes ships play cat and mouse with each other in the middle of the ocean when nobody is looking.”
“Really? C’mon…”
“Well, let me put it this way: do you Really Think a trained crew would ever be That Bad at docking…?”

The want Fort Ross back.

My “cat and mouse” do you mean “chicken”? Because “cat and mouse” means chasing each other.

That said, I’ve realized news reports often refer to ships “playing cat and mouse”, although I’ve yet to work out exactly what they mean by that. They seem to imply it involves possible collisions.