The same IP no matter what the domain? questions for the internet saavy.

I noticed that a certain website has numerous domain names linked to it. upon doing a godaddy lookup (It was actually another site, I forget the name) I noticed that all of the domain names had the same IP address. However, not all of the domain names were registered by the same person.

Alright, here’s the bottom line: It looks as though an actual person registered one set of domain names with their own name and mysteriously, Domains by Proxy, Inc. has their name on the others. I did a little research on that company and found that it is just a veil to hide one’s identity when they put up a website.

I am trying to find the correlation between domains by proxy inc. and this site. Is there any way (besides a legal subpoena) to find out who is behind the domains by proxy addresses? Has anyone ever dealt with this company before? if so, what is the cost to use their services? Any other info is greatly appreciated.

All of the sites that link to this main one have the same IP address. Does this mean that the same person is behind it? They are all on the same server which leads me to believe it is. What about the servers? Is the probability of the same person being behind both increased based on the use of the same server or am I just ignorant about servers?

(I know it’s a pretty off-the-wall scenario and I’ll be happy to personally fill you in on it.)

/and breathe

Note that web hosting companies regularly have many domains attached to a few servers. (In some cases, even in the thousands.) So having a lot of domains map to the same IP address is quite common and not at all out of the ordinary.

I use a dynamic DNS server to map to my server so not only does it have it’s regular ISP domain name, my a “permanent” name that I use.

In short, anybody can do this for lots of good reasons.

For a public website, yes the IP points to a specific person. At that persons end, they might have a few computers which handle the load, but they will all be owned by the same person.
Individuals, however, generally are assigned a random IP by their ISP when they sign on–so trying to track that back will just get you to the ISP.
Linking DNSs to an IP requires that various DNS servers throughout the world get updated so if you tried switching around your IP every few days with a public site, people in various areas wouldn’t be able to find your site unless you still had computers responding to the old IP long enough for the new one to spread everywhere.* And I suspect that you would get some fishy looks if you were actively changing your IP for a set site on a regular basis.

• As I understand it.