The Scoop on Osteopathy?

I have been to osteopathic doctors (DO’s) as well as medical doctors (MD’s) and really don’t see much difference between them.

I know DO’s supposedly put emphasis on skeleton and musclar systems, but to me this makes them little more than Chiropracters that can prescribe medicine.

Has the orginal concept of Osteopathy kind of been forgotten somewhere? I never had any DO that treated me show any concern for my muscle or skeletal systems. In fact one (a DO) refered me to a Chiropracter.

So what is the scoop, have over the years, DO’s been reduced to just basically MD’s with a different degree?

Check out Quackwatch’s article on “Dubious Aspects of Osteopathy,” by the head of Quackwatch himself, Stephen Barrett, M.D.

It begins: “Osteopathic physicians (DOs) are the legal and professional equivalents of medical doctors. Although most offer competent care, the percentages involved in chelation therapy, clinical ecology, orthomolecular therapy, homeopathy, ayurvedic medicine, and several other dubious practices appear to be higher among osteopaths than among medical doctors. I have concluded this by inspecting the membership directories of groups that promote these practices and/or by comparing the relative percentages of MDs and DOs. listed in the Alternative Medicine Yellow Pages [1] and HealthWorld Online’s Professional Referral Network. The most widespread dubious treatment among DOs appears to be cranial therapy, an osteopathic offshoot described below.”

You can find the whole article at: http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/QA/osteo.html

Osteopathic schools put more emphasis on a holistic approach to patient care. Many, but not all graduates of osteopathic schools feel comfortable doing spinal manipulation. But in order to get all the science in so that graduates can pass the same certifying exams as MDs, & be issued the same licenses as MDs, the same hospital priveleges as MDs, and enter the same residencies as MDs, something had to give, and that some thing was the time spent learning spinal manipulation, and the time spent knowing the whole patient.

(this is my personal opinion on the matter)

Sue from El Paso
members.aol.com/majormd/index.html