The SDMB Hall of Fame Project: Third Basemen

Voting will close Friday.

I again encourage everyone to ask friends to sign up to the SDMB to vote, if they’re baseball fans. More votes makes this more fun. More discussion makes this more fun. Look, let’s be honest; more baseball is always better.

Did I miss the results?

Perhaps RickJay’s vote counting machine issolar powered?

I’ll be back :). Tomorrow.

Mike Schmidt
Eddie Mathews
Frank “Home Run” Baker
Wade Boggs
George Brett
Judy Johnson
Pie Traynor
Chipper Jones
Ron Santo
Brooks Robinson

Paul Molitor
Mike Schmidt
Eddie Mathews
Wade Boggs
George Brett
Chipper Jones
Ron Santo
Scott Rolen
Adrian Beltre
Brooks Robinson

Well, I had another envelope. And a desire to see the shortstop voting (if Omar Vizquel doesn’t get in, though, I’m done with you nerds.) So with all apologies to RickJay, I’m going to tally this up so we can see the results:

The Hot Corner
Schmidt, Mike -21
Mathews, Eddie -21
Brett, George -21
Boggs, Wade -21
Robinson, Brooks -21
Jones, Chipper -21
Beltre, Adrian -16
Santo, Ron -14
Baker, Frank -13
Traynor, Harold -10

The Lukewarm Curve
Rolen, Scott -9
Nettles, Graig -8
Molitor, Paul -4
Collins, Jimmy -3
McGraw, John; Williams, Matt; Johnson, Judy; Boyer, Ken; Madlock, Bill; Wright, David; Bell, Buddy -1

6 unanimous inductees, some guys with great nicknames and Ron Santo’s fat face.

The Lukewarm Curve would be an excellent name for a band. As would Ron Santo’s Fat Face.

The unanimous choices were all deserved.

Pie Traynor, sheesh.

Yeah, I don’t get him getting in, at all. All I can think of was that people saw that he was in the original HoF, or was the best 3B for like 30 years (between Home Run Baker and Eddie Mathews), so in he went on those ballots.

Guilty as charged.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like we elected Kelly Gruber, but that’s the first selection I really disagree with. Oh well, if it was the RickJay Hall of Fame I’d just have posted a list!

I guess Nettles and Rolen split enough votes that Traynor was able to slip in there. I think Rolen is easily the most deserving of those three, but I know others like Nettles. Ah well, on to shortstops!

In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t voted for Pie. But I would have voted for Molitor, not Nettles, instead, which wouldn’t have solved the issue (other than getting Rolen in on the tie.)