The September of my Rants

I’m a fucking cheapass too. Now, where can I find that “fun shit” you mentioned?

ps: I have meds that I stopped taking when my insurance quadrupled the copay for them. I switched insurance companies within a week, and got 90 days of pills for $6!

Sitting in the imaging waiting room while my husband gets scanned. A woman on the phone has been yammering out way too many details about her private life. I guess she couldn’t read the sign that says “No Cell Phones”

Apparently her mother’s husband/boyfriend is a bum who won’t work…

SHUT UP!!!

You need to CRASH her!

A guy I know died over the weekend. He was in his 70s, long retired, but still liked to keep up his “farm”. I used to cringe when I saw him driving his tractor on dangerous grades and slopes. The official line is that he had a heart attack and fell from his tractor while brush hogging. A cop who was at the scene told me the heart attack was peace-of-mind stuff.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Back in early August we got a note on the door that they were going to start roadwork in our neighborhood the following week. Basically, tearing out and repouring curbs, the ends of driveways, and some sections of sidewalk, and resurfacing the street. Other than the initial notification, there has been absolutely no communication, like “we’re tearing out your driveway tomorrow”, so if you weren’t keeping an eye on what they were doing and didn’t move your car out of your garage or driveway (and of course no parking on the street during construction) you were just S.O.L. for a few days if you needed to go somewhere.

They did our side of the street back before Labor Day. After the curbs were repoured they came through and backfilled what they had torn up with fill dirt. This past weekend, with the weather cooling off, I decided to loosen up the dirt and put some grass seed down. Except me being old and out of shape, I only got about a third of it done.

Today at lunch I was watering the seed I put down over the weekend, when what do I see coming up the street but a crew putting down seed and straw! WTF? Why didn’t they do that a month ago immediately after they got the dirt filled in? Why did they wait until it was settled and packed down?

And a month and a half into it, they’re still doing concrete work. Nowhere close to resurfacing yet. They were going like gangbusters the first week and a half, and now it’s like maybe one day a week you see a couple of guys doing some concrete work somewhere. At this rate it’s going to be Thanksgiving or Christmas before they finish up.

Not knowing what phone you have, but there should be something in settings to restrict apps to wi-fi only. If not, there are certainly apps that will do it for you.

How to Prevent Any App From Using Mobile Data on Android should get you going in the right direction. I have no recommendation for an app as I’ve never had that particular problem.

I don’t know about more common, but I was once offered 10% (≈$15) back to change a review from 4 to 5 stars. I just ignored the request.

Just a reminder: “Thirty days hath September…”

So, Clever Writers Of The Dope… who’s going to start an “October Mini-Rants” thread with an interesting/punny/cool/fun title?

(I’ve tried and tried, but I cant think of anything…)

I’ve been offered a gift card or other compensation to offer a review on an Amazon product. I’ve never been told it had to be a 5 star review. I just needed to show them an honest one. Usually my reviews have been 5 stars but I’ve done a couple of 4 star reviews and I’ve still received compensation. In a couple of cases it ended up pretty much paying for the price of the product.

I’m pretty sure* the e-mail offering me a $20 gift card for deleting a negative review is a scam and that something nefarious would have ensued had I clicked on the ostensible Amazon review link.

That URL does not match the URL for the genuine negative review (the only such I’ve posted in the past year or so). I got a followup email today from “Margaret McIntosh” addressing me as their valued customer, only the person identifies herself in the e-mail preview as “Doris”. Deleted without opening.

Maybe I should forward it to Amazon, only as I mentioned before, I don’t think Amazon cares much about scams perpetrated in its name.

*make that definite spam. I found three more messages of the same variety in my spam folder from three allegedly different people, calling me their “most respected customer” and one offering “compensation”.

I forgot to mention explicitly that I made a new thread for October:

I branched off from digs’ request to make a new thread but didn’t actually make it obvious.

Oh, don’t worry, we all keep an eye on what you’re up to…
(Some of us just waited til today to post there).

Thanks! Great title, too… that’ll mean a whole month of smiling as I check the mini-rants.

I don’t even… :astonished:

Follow-up - they must have heard me complaining. Today they started milling off the old asphalt.

Oh, and one more little bit of ranting… when the crew (who were concrete guys, not landscapers) came by yesterday to put seed and straw down, they just threw straw down in big clumps. They didn’t even bother to try to spread it out. My wife decided she was just going to call a local lawn care company to come by and do it right.

That is an epic prank. Sometimes I pretend to talk on my cell but I never thought to reply to others.