The September of my Rants

I’m in the market for a new car, and I’ve decided on a '22 Toyota Corolla hatchback, automatic, bright blue. I’ve notified the local Toyota dealer, and just got a call back. They have a used '20, manual, white with black roof.

Uh, no, that’s not a match.

Yes! That’s it exactly, not caring makes a huge difference!

I don’t want to give people the impression that marijuana does anything it doesn’t do. It’s not some magical plant that is the cure for everything, but it is pretty good at what it does do for some people.

I wish it worked for me. I always found the effects unpleasant. On the other hand, it’s been a while…

Haha, I went through the same crap when I shopped for my first new car. I went to a Kia dealership and they tried to sell me an old Dodge Neon. I ended up going across the street to Toyota and bought a new Toyota Echo. That thing lasted me a good 17 years.

An Advantage plan is it’s own entity, also known as Medicare part C. Medigap and Medicaid are in addition to Medicare. In these cases, Medicare pays first and Medigap and Medicaid pick up most or all of the rest. Buyer beware of Advantage plans. You get what you pay for.

It might be worth giving it a try now. Your local dispensary stocks it in several forms and the budistas really do know their stuff. Different people react differently to different strains and ingestion methods. Some people don’t react to it at all and some people don’t like the effects (usually the time distortion).

Been wasting some time watching old movies while I’m “on the beach” between positions.
I’ve developed a really bad habit of appying to “win a car” on Omaze at every commercial.

Of Course I’ll never win anything but ‘Carpal Tunnel’… but it’s nice to pretend.

I hate to be that person but: actually, I did feel as the cups were pulled off, some muscle movement. Nowhere as nice as what the industrial Tens Unit did. Or my ~middling priced tens unit that runs off a 9
volt battery.

I’ll put up with the “woo” for my next 10 visits (my hubby’s insurance covers 25 visits) as long as I get the exercises (which I do do), the deep tissue massages (well, in this case, she uses a scraper tool and I feel better after she uses it) and the Tens plus heat. Yeah, I do that at home but I get worried I’ll eff myself up doing stuff whether too long of heat (2 hours cutoff on my heating pad), too intense on my tens unit and even… too many exercises in a day.

This clinic took care of a “frozen shoulder” I had for years dating back to a night I was writhing on my bed due to a kidney stone passing. I put up with that pain because even in the 2000s … I knew I’d be profiled during the height of drug seeking plus we didn’t have much extra money.

13 more days until I get told how long to get a steroid shot.

Yay.

Technically yes but not legally :smiley: Plus, the weed my kids get is too strong for me… not just full on paranoia despite years of use when I was teen but… asthma attack. Only the third one in my entire life.

All my state’s gov. allows us is booze and maybe oils for kids with really crappy lifehood outlooks. Iowa.

(Heh, just recalled my daughter gave me some “Gummies” from her roomie … yeah, they weren’t the “good ones” just gummy bears. )

Vodka FTW tonite!

So I was downtown on my way to game night. I was turning left at an intersection. The other car was on the cross street. They signaled a right turn, so I thought it was okay for me to go, especially since the light was turning yellow. So I started turning, but I was watching for pedestrians, so I didn’t see that the other car changed its mind and was going straight anyway.

I just have some scuffs on my already scuffed bumper. They have this gouge on the bottom of both doors. We exchanged insurance info; the folks in the other car said they weren’t hurt. My insurance should be enough to cover body work to the other car. But yeah.

The shutoff valve to the toilet that the plumber replaced on Sept 1 just quit working for no apparent reason - no water is coming through it at all whether it’s turned left or right. I doubt he’ll come back on a weekend without charging a big premium, so it looks like I’ll be pouring water into the toilet tank all weekend. Hopefully he can come on Monday…

I got a follow-up call from the hospital about my Deep Vein Thrombosis. Apparently, in 5-7% of cases where there is no obvious cause for the blood clots, the reason is later discovered to be changes to blood chemistry as an early symptom of cancer! So, I am now enrolled in a long-term study to see if I get cancer, so they can compare the efficacy of standard annual cancer screening to enhanced screening with a whole-body special CAT scan added. (The CAT scan is expensive and normally only done to confirm a diagnosis of cancer and locate the tumor, so they want to make sure it’s more effective for early detection before they start doing it regularly.)

I’m in the control group, so no special scan for me, and now I have to worry about cancer as well as DVT. On the plus side, the hospital will arrange for me to get the annual standard screening tests every year. They will even reimburse my parking costs!

Mom’s in the hospital. 86yo, due to COVID restrictions, only my older sister can visit. She has POA for health issues. I just wish I can take some of the responsibility fro her. Mom’s is doing a wee bit better.

I am so sorry. You must be worried half to death. I hope she recovers quickly.

I don’t follow many of the “rules” of kayaking. Never kayak alone? Bah, some of my best kayaking time has been when I’m out solo. But the one rule I’ve always followed: ALWAYS HAVE AN EXTRA PADDLE. My gf teases me about it. Even on flat water I always toss an extra paddle into my boat.

This past weekend we put our boats in the water at the Conemaugh Dam outflow and paddled to Saltsburg. Three hundred yards from the put-in we were flagged down by a boater in distress who had shattered her paddle, leaving her up the Conemaugh without a paddle.

I gave her my crap backup paddle to use. I told her if she wanted it, I’d let it go for $20 (it is an old backup). She had not money. No problem, I told her what town we lived in and told her we could meetup somewhere nearby. Nope, she doesn’t own a car, a friend dropped her off and was picking her up; she couldn’t ask for a ride.

She suggested we just paddle together to Saltsburg. I explained that we paddle a brisk pace and would be in Saltsburg in about 80 minutes. She was shocked, for her it is a 3 hour float. So I got paper and pen from my dry-bag and gave her my cell number. No call yet, I’m not expecting one.

Well, I’m in the process of having an unusual amount of medical care inflicted on me for no particular reason except, I presume, doctors’ boredom. Last week I had an hour-long echocardiogram done which was a PITA, and this morning I was outfitted with not one but two obnoxious devices that I have to wear for 24 hours. After careful consideration the cardiologist decided that a Holter monitor for recording heart activity wasn’t obnoxious enough, so he had them install a second device whose purpose is to grip my arm in a vise-like grip every 30 minutes, cutting off all circulation, and guaranteeing that I won’t be able to sleep.

Under my shirt I look like Robot Man from a bad 1950s sci-fi movie, only with more wires and hoses. And even in this land of universal health care, all this fun cost me $10 because something isn’t covered (batteries, or something). I’d have even more medical care inflicted on me if I didn’t actively refuse it. These doctors are not discouraged at all when I tell them I feel perfectly fine. They know that if they keep at it long enough they’ll eventually find something wrong, and it will totally make their day.

Sitting at a stoplight today, one car in front of me. The light turned green, the car in front of me started moving, and the light immediately turned yellow and then red again. While I sat there alternately laughing and WTF’ing at the traffic light, on my left I see an ambulance approach the intersection, no emergency lights on, and proceed to make a left turn.

It was immediately obvious to me that the ambulance had triggered the light so that they did not have to stop at the intersection. I know it wasn’t an emergency because the firehouse is about half a mile down the road from the light, and when I was finally able to proceed I saw the ambulance backing into the bay as I passed the fire station.

If I thought it would do any good, I would consider writing to whatever city department is in charge of fire & medical and ask if it is legal or even acceptable for an emergency vehicle to trigger a traffic light in a non-emergency situation.

The National Hurricane Center is rooting around for humor in its analysis of Tropical Storm Rose.

“There are a lot of thorns in the way of Rose blossoming into a
stronger storm. Increasing shear and drier mid-level air are on
the way for tonight, competing against the somewhat warm SSTs.
Thus Rose has about a day to flower into a moderate tropical storm,
and no significant change was made to the short term forecast. At
longer range, stronger shear and dry air should pull the petals off
Rose one-by-one, causing the cyclone to slowly weaken. The new
forecast is similar to the previous one, with some small 5-kt
downward adjustments. Rose could even shrivel up into a remnant
low by day 5, but that’s not shown yet in the forecast.”

Pretty bush league, if you ask me.

you know. I am so tired of applying to job after job after f’ing job and having them turn me away the second they find out I use a wheelchair.

“Oh, sorry, I don’t think it would work because you have to be able to carry things out to the car for customers.”
“Oh, sorry, some of our files are on high shelves and you wouldn’t be able to reach them, so I don’t think it would work.”
“Oh, sorry, our printer is in the way of the bathroom, so I don’t think we could accommodate you.”
“Oh, sorry, we want our people to stand up to greet clients when they come in.”
"Oh, sorry, our office area is kind of cramped and I don’t think there’s really space for a wheelchair.

You guys. I spend every day getting around stuff like that and figuring out ways to make everything work. It’s harder than it is for most people, but I do it. And I get that the world isn’t going to adapt to me and I have to adapt to the world and it’s a waste of energy and anger to get upset about it. But also, I work hard. I’m smart. I can figure just about anything out on a computer. Someone somewhere has to think maybe that’s worth moving the printer or letting me sit on a tall stool.

I worked at my last job for a long time and I still do work for them, but it’s an old building built into a hill and it really isn’t accessible. And it’s a project-by-project thing and I need full-time work in order to keep… like… surviving. I don’t need or want to be on disability. I CAN work. Not everywhere in every job, obviously, but there are quite a few jobs I could do if given the chance. And I mean, I get why people see the wheels and think it would probably just be a pain to have me around. I do. I get that chronic illness can sometimes (although not in my case) make people less reliable because their health is unreliable. I get that it’s easier not to rearrange anything for the sake of one person or have to worry about accommodating anyone. I get that everyone on the planet once had a cousin whose co-worker’s friend had a disability and used it as an excuse to get out of the unpleasant stuff at work and now they assume that everybody does that.

I know there are laws against discrimination. And I also know that it’s not always exactly discrimination because there are, in reality, practical considerations. And I’m not really sure where the line is. And I also know that saying “Excuse me, but I think this is discrimination” in an interview is not something that makes the kind of impression that gets people hired.

I just need a steady job. I promise I’m as low-maintenance at work as I possibly can be and there’s not much I can do to make myself more so. Job-hunting is always exhausting and dispiriting, but it’s even more so when you keep getting turned away for bullshit reasons completely beyond your control.

Those excuses all sound like bullshit, and most of them are so bad they’d be hilarious if the whole situation wasn’t so depressing. I’m totally with you on this. And I agree that most of this is almost certainly plain old discrimination, and anti-discrimination laws aren’t terribly helpful if applying them puts you in a combative position with a potential employer. Hopefully you’ll find an employer with more than half a brain who will appreciate the value you can bring.