The shortest of rants for the shortest of months (mini rants)

Having WAY too much trouble getting motivated to do anything productive so far today. Hopefully more caffeine will help. (this is the mini-est of mini rants)

You don’t know what kitty crack is until you open a jar of Halo Chicken Treats.

They have other treats that have good ingredients, but I haven’t tried them. The chicken treats are so good that my spoiled beasts don’t want anything else.

My Nintendo Switch has had a relatively common problem for about a year now – the SD card reader doesn’t work properly. I found several websites that showed how seemingly easy the repair would be (remove a few screws, remove and replace the SD card reader), so given the extremely long lead times for factory repair I decided to give it a try.

Apparently I succeeded in bending one of the pins on the motherboard connector, because now the system won’t recognize that a card is inserted at all. I even reinstalled the original SD card reader…no luck.

It is -29° F. It has been below zero now for over a week.

This is what I get for saying we’ve had a mild winter this year…

He is, and I’m not going to out him. I posted the rant here simply because I had decided not to out him* and needed to release the frustration, not because I was soliciting advice.

ETA - and I never seriously considered it. It’s just wrong.

Do you live in the Arctic Circle? That’s unreasonably cold! :cold_face:

It’s always way too cold for way too long, and the summers are painfully short. I just wanna ride my bike, dammit!!

Haven’t you been watching the news? Huge swaths of the U.S. suddenly dropped 30 to 60 degrees, and is sitting there for a week or so. Son sent pics of ice-covered trees…in Texas.

For those of us in NoLoo (anywhere north of the Loop)(I just made that up), it plummeted from above freezing to below zero.

I was biking a few weeks ago, this morning the wind chill was -27ºF.

I’ve been avoiding the news. We haven’t gotten the icy snap here in western NC, just endless rain.

Wyoming! And this morning, it is -6°… And that feels “warm” now.

The cold made my plastic dog door so brittle it snapped it’s outer layer when the dogs ran through it mid- week… which just made the house THAT much colder. My dogs’ water dish froze… inside the house.

Dear CNN,

Yes, I get it it. I know that Donald Trump was acquitted twice. But… did you really have to put up an advertising banner with Stanley Tucci looking down and smirking right above that 24-point headline?

( I’ll never watch that show now. )

That’s cold!

Didn’t happen. The plan is to “check it at the end of the month to see if the alternative medicine is working”. I didn’t ask what “alternative medicine” he’s actually trying.

After my last update of my Mac OS, my Safari browser shits the bed daily now, for no apparent reason. My iTunes loses and re-discovers the ability for me to jump to a place in my 14,000 song list by starting to type in the song title or artist. Come on Apple - get your shit together.

And the annoying icing on the irritation cake? I can’t talk about this in my regular feed, because my brother-in-law is an Apple expert and blames me for doing something wrong any time I criticize Apple. :roll_eyes:

If he’s such an expert, tell him to fix it for you. If he can’t, tell him to shut up because it’s your feed and you get to talk about what you want to.

[grumbles] Relatives can be the absolute worst. It’s as if they think that because they’re relatives, they get to treat you worse than they’d treat an absolute stranger because they don’t have to put on their company manners. After all, it’s only you. [/g]

'Nuff said. My wife will update her MacBook Pro and her iPhone as soon as The Mothership signals her to. She’ll sneer at my perfectly-functioning MacBook running two versions behind… “Why is your OS so old on your phone and your laptop?”

Because it just plain WORKS! No, I don’t get to turn my friends into the latest anime unicorn emojis, or rock a Music app that predicts how I’ll feel about the next K-Pop band.
But my music, and audiobooks, and podcasts are organized just the way I like 'em in iTunes. My older graphics programs hum along fine, and I haven’t had an app or an OS crash or even stutter in ages.

Now leave me alone, I want to do work on my computer, not work on my computer!

The appropriate response to this is to rant away on whatever social media you like to rant on, and tell your brother-in-law to fuck off.

I humbly admit to being guilty of such assholery as your BIL myself. When someone calls me with some strange problem, in my capacity as the informally anointed family computer guru, my knee-jerk response is usually “what the hell did you do???”. Sometimes, it turns out that they didn’t do anything, and there was a genuine problem that needed fixing.

OTOH, I’ll sometimes get a complaint like “I did what you told me to do, and it didn’t work. Now what?”. I then walk them through the process step by step, and they announce, “Hey! That time it worked!”. To which my response is, “Yes, computers are temperamental that way. You have to catch them in just the right mood, and talk to them just the right way.” :grinning:

I do the updates in the hope of getting patches. :frowning:

My Dumb Kid

I yell for him to go put his clothes from the washer to the dryer. 5 minutes later, he manages to make his way to the laundry room. He walks back to his room.

I don’t hear anything. So I yell to him, “Did you turn it on?”.

He walks back to the laundry room, I hear the dryer door close and it turn on. He walks back to his room…

My laptop computer and OS is so old that every time I boot it up, Microsoft gives me a message that they no longer support it and they suggest that I buy a new computer.

The OS is Win 7 and I purchased the computer in 2013, at the time I think I had to jump through hoops to get a new computer with an older OS.

But the newer OS seemed designed for general/recreational use, and I was using that laptop almost exclusively to run a whole bunch of obscure proprietary product configuration software programs, and having every program I ever used buried under a practically hidden “other programs” tab just didn’t work for me.