The "Smart Pills" Joke...

I’m doing a survey. Are you familiar with this joke? Just answer yes or no, along with your age group and general geographic point of origin.*

The reason I ask is that I’m in the 45-54 age range, from Philadelphia originally, and, so far, three of my co-workers here in the Ozarks never heard the joke. Mind you, they liked it once they heard it, and are going to pass it on, but I thought this particular old chestnut was universal…

Thanks!

-MMM-

*If you’re not familiar with the joke, feel free to Google it, but no spoilers here, please, I want to keep the survey on the up-and-up.

No.

Nope. I am somewhat past forty and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Moved from General Questions to MPSIMS.

samclem, moderator

Googled it, and yes, I had heard the joke before, but did not associate it with the description “smart pills joke,” so I would have said “no” beforehand.

Yes, primary school age material.
Mid 50s rural NSW, Australia

Never heard it before. 39 (in a week), Newfoundland, Canada.

Never heard it before (but now I love it). 45, Wisconsin (raised in New York).

Hey! That’s my answer.

57, western PA.

No, I chuckled a bit though.

45, Ontario, Canada

Reminds me of the joke about the two guys hiking in the woods and one notices the other is wearing running shoes and questions him.
“They’re just in case we meet up with a bear”
“You idiot, you can’t outrun a bear”
“I don’t have to outrun the bear…”

If you’re not going to post the actual joke, I’m sure as heck not going to google it, guess which one of 50,000 results is the joke you’re thinking of, then answer based on that.

I’m smart, but I’m not Carnac the Magnificent.

heard it from my uncle around 1972; central Missouri

Really isn’t that hard, the first two pages of Google all had the same joke, albeit with slightly different versions of who did what, but with the same punch line.

As for me, Ohio-Missouri-Alabama (USA) and can remember seeing it at one time or another, but can’t recall ever hearing anyone tell it.

General Curtis LeMay, the Red Baron and Carnac.

Name three people who like to bomb.

:smiley:

Early 60s Canberra, Australia. I can actually recall the first time I heard it at Cubs one night. I know over the years I told the joke several times and it seemed the vast majority of people had never heard it. Like the OP I thought everyone would know it.

Yes
Rapidly approaching 50
New England all my life

Mid 30’s, also greater Philadelphia area. Never heard it before.

I can think of 2 Smart Pill jokes right off the top of my head. Out of curiosity I searched on it and found a joke that is similar to one of them, but a lot cleaner version of it.

I’m 42. Grew up in St. Louis, have lived in Kansas City, Cambridge UK, New York City, Cincinnati, and now Columbia MO.

I had not heard it before.

Really old joke. I’m 68.