The Smith Code - Hidden in the DVC ruling

I’m not sure where this should be, but here’s as good as any:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060427/en_nm/davinci_code_dc_3

I’m not seeing anything except possible the word cream or ream in the middle, any body else have any ideas what this says?

I have an idea of what it says.

“Smith Code Jaeiextostpsacgreamqwfkadpmqz”

It’s latin for “Smith Code Jaeiextostpsacgreamqwfkadpmqz”

Wow, ok here goes my first post!
In the name of fighting ignorance, I decided to register to post a few corrections.

I’ve been working on trying to crack this for the last couple of days and haven’t got far.
The correct sequence (sorry to say you’re wrong nd_n8, I know you’re just quoting) is:

smithycode
Jaeiextostgpsacgreamqwfkadpmqzv

I put the line in to differentiate between the uncoded “look here there’s something exciting” writing, and the actual code.
The J is the only capitalised letter, I’m not sure if it is significant or not, it may be related to the key, or it may not. The judge has stated that “The key to solving the conundrum posed by this judgement is in reading HBHG and DVC.” However the only code that’s in both(as far as I can see) is the atbash cipher but I don’t think that works on it.

The full text of his judgement is available here should you wish to read it:
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/images/judgment-files/baigent_v_rhg_0406.pdf

You can find his bit of code easily by coping it into word, going to “find” then “format”, then selecting ‘bold italicised’ and going through.
Some may suggest that the bold-italicised “in” should be included at the end. However I think that read in the context of the judgement, the fact that “in” is bolded is just to put emphasis there.

Has anybody got very far?
I’m pretty sure it isn’t a simple Caesar job, however past that, I flounder!

• G

I tried various combinations of the Caesar box and the Atbash cipher, no dice. Any other matrices out there we can use?

Added: anybody want to give a Vigenère cipher a whirl? Possible keywords: apple, Sofia, sangreal, sangraal, voute, grail…

No problem Gilbert, and welcome to the board by the way. Thanks for the link to the full text, you’re version is correct.

I tried this again at lunch today, I had used the Atbash and Ceasar box yesterday but had no idea what they were called. So I tried the Vigenere cipher on it with as many key words as I could (honestly, the first half of lunch was spent learning what the Vinenere cipher is in the first place). I tried the ones suggested, then tried smithycode, smithy, code, forge, anvil, hammer and finally bellows (all words associated with a smithy), no luck. I tried cross referencing them with smith then code, and still nothing. The last attempt I used was with the key hbhgdvc (the ruling does say that the key is in reading hbhg and dvc) and got nowhere.

Any other ideas?

I did notice a coincidence, smithycode is 10 letters and the first letter of the appairent encryption is J, which is the tenth letter of the alphabet. I also know that in many languages “Y” means “and” so the first word could be Smith and Code.

This just in: Lawyer Cracks Judge’s ‘Da Vinci’ Case Code.

I posted this yesterday but got no responses. Maybe my title was too obscure.

I think the code reads “Morrissey is a God.”

Or is that the Smiths Code?

[apologies] I looked around for a thread on this but completely missed yours, I totally did not mean to wedge out your thread. [/apologies]

Meh, it was an interesting puzzle but the obscurity of the answer leaves me empty. Ahh well, at least I learned something new. Thanks for the replies.

No worries. I knew I was taking a risk with that weirdly opaque title. The fact that your thread and its straightforward subject line is more popular than mine (even marginally ;)) means I gambled wrong. So no sweat.

Re the actual story, were I the judge, I would have done the scattered italics thing, suggesting the presence of a cipher, except that it would have been entirely random. The sequence “jaeiextostgpsacgreamqwfkadpmqzv” wouldn’t be based in anything; I’d keep my mouth shut and let people bang their heads against the mystery forever. Now that would have been amusing.