The standard "Native American" tune

Because this:

gets done every so often and the Native American tune is just as well established a cliche but I have never seen it discussed here.

It is a staple of cartoons. It starts with the drums BUM bum-bum-bum BUM-bum-bum-bum often followed by the TAN-tan tan-TAraran. Sometimes followed by the hand over the mouth hollering thing.

Here is hoping that a Bugs Bunny fan will provide a link to an episode where it can be heard.

Anyone any ideas as to where this came from?

Actually, I think it’s bum-BUM-bum-bum bum-BUM-bum-bum and tan-TAN TAN-taraRAN.

This is why I searched youtube for half an hour to have the sound. My searching skills suck.

Isn’t it a part of a piece titled In a Persian Garden?

We did have a thread on this a while back, and I recall finding a cite that the tune originated with…actual Native Americans! It was apparently lifted from real war chants, incorporated into Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show, and then made its way forward through our culture from there. When I have time I’ll try to find that thread, or my cite, but that may not be until Thursday.

I thought it was Powerhouse, by Duran Duran.

I understand that the drum beat itself is a beat that is actually used by some Native Americans, some dislike it because it is very basic. Something like the cliche white song being “The Itsy Bitsy Spider”.

John McCormack’s early 20th Century piece?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfEqR2M8RUc

I don’t think so.

The “tan-TAN TAN-taraRAN” part is from Dvorak’s “From a New World.”

Interesting. Dvorak said:

So maybe the cite I found before was in error. (?)

I don’t have it right now, but it rings right. Would you happen to know what movement and ball park when in it? (I am trying to fish it from weirdo websites that don’t make it a fun hearing)