The strangeness of humanity

In a world which seems to often be a blending of tragedy and theatre of the absurd, it is truly the moments of deep despair that show the compassion which seems to lie in all humans.
For example, after the attacks in the U.S. on September the 11th, every country in the world, including some of the U.S.'s “enemies” held candlelight vigils.
A few days ago, there was a devastating earthquake in Southern Iran.
Since that time the U.S. has sent aid marking the first official contact between the two countries since the revolution.
Iran’s fledgling neighbor has offered to help despite their own desperate need of assistance.
Even Iran’s arch nemesis Israel has offered to send humanitarian aid. Which of course was summarily dismissed by the lice ridden inept idiots who have hijacked Iran.
There was this American movie back in the 80’s where one of the characters said something which I have found to be true over and over again:

“You humans are a strange species, you are always
at your best when things are worst.”

Indeed.

That quote is from Starman, BTW. Funny, it can be interpreted two ways. First like you did, secondly like he might be commenting on how efficient and inhumanely clever we are at killing each other (war, terrorism, pollution, etc).

Not trying to rain on your enthusiasm, it’s just that the few bright spots one finds these days are far outweighed by the atrocities committed by those around us. At the scale you’re linking to in the OP, the aid is as much of a political move as anything else.

I prefer to find my “feel good” stories at the personal level in my life and let the media and others put whatever spin they feel will garner the most sales and take it with a grain of salt.

Actually the US sent aid to Iran for earthquakes before. There was one last year, and a huge one around 1990, I think.

But your point is well taken.

I think we’re all basically good underneath it all. We just have to put the guns and politics aside so we can see that we’re all here on this planet together, trying to make it through another day. Good on humanity, I say.

Horseflesh:
The other interpretation you referenced is the one I usually think of. It’s rare, and quite refreshing, to see an example of the nicer interpretation.

friedo:
I hadn’t heard about the previous aid. I thought I read (or heard)somewhere that this was the first time the U.S. sent aid. Perhaps the previous assistance that was sent wasn’t through formal government channels but rather NGO’s.