The SW Novel Deathstar

Friends has anyone read the Star Wars novel Deathstar? I haven’t read many SW novels because the few I did try were not very good but this story sounds interesting. So any positive recommendations for this book?

I’ve read it, and enjoyed it for what it was… a basically pulpy but fun read set in the Star Wars universe.

But it’s hard to know how that would translate for you…

Actually, the SW novel I think I’ve enjoyed the most (out of maybe 6 of 7 I’ve read) is Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

I enjoyed the back-story on building the Death Star. And I liked how it portrayed the various crewmembers as average joes. They are dedicated members of the military, professionals who are working on contracts, and restaurateurs who are just trying to make a living. Most are indifferent to the aims of the rebellion or Tarkin doctrines.

Don’t read this yet:

The ending, however, annoyed the piss out of me. It’s like Lucas took a look at the draft, then said “Hey, the Empire is supposed to be EVIL!” So, magically, every sympathetic character decides to join the rebellion.

My opinion it was a blah read, we know the ending so I was kinda interested in the how they got there. Just the engineering alone over twenty years would have made for some interesting stories.

Declan

I disliked it and wouldn’t recommend it at all. It starts well enough but meanders a lot in the middle and the ending was incredibly unsatisfying and contrived. Mileages may, of course, vary.

I recently went on a binge of SW books for no apparent reason and read over 20 of them in less than 2 months time (I still have 4 or 5 lying around here but can’t think about reading even one more). I enjoyed the prequel era books the most, the following particularly: Cloak of Deception, Labyrinth of Evil, Shatterpoint and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Timothy Zanh’s books are always cool but they have to be read in sequence for best effect. Vector Prime was cool (despite magic biotech - look! it’s organic so it’s better!-) but launched a 20 book long series I didn’t have the stamina to get even halfway through.