The? TheTheTheThe ... Sometimes it's just "the"

Here’s one:

They also have a length entry, unsurprisingly, under ‘T’ for references to the newspaper itself.

Likewise (and double-strength) for the Pixies who have got a footnote in their Wikipedia page which aggressively and pedantically points this fact out.

:dubious: You have an extremely low bar for aggression and pedantry.

“I don’t believe in Beatles.” John Lennon, from God (The Dream Is Over)

Doesn’t mean anything – I just like it.

Are the rules different if one is writing in The Hague?

Dear The Cheat,
I have arrived in The Hague with The Donald, and we are going to see The Who. I am sure it will prove to be Tha Bomb. See you next week in The Gambia!
Your pal,
Teh Haxx0rz

Any one else catch the irony that this is posted in The BBQ Pit?

And just to clarify this point, these are titles used as titles. The the would remain uncapitalized and unitalicized/unquoted in these situations:

• The producers of the television show successfully translated the Stand characters to the small screen.
  • At least one music critic has noted that the “Reason” melody has spawned many imitators.

Here’s one, and I’ll call this more definitive than what any stylebook says.

“Beatles” “Apple” and the Apple logos are trademarks of Apple Corps Ltd.

So the group’s legal name is “Beatles” not “The Beatles.”

As for Ohio State, “The” may be a part of that school’s official name, but guess what! Even the University’s own materials don’t always follow it. I say screw’ em – first reference only, if that!

It’s definitely part of the name. Some rock bands use the definite article (and in the case of A Flock of Seagulls, the indefinite article) and some don’t:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Tragically Hip
The Who
The Clash

If you just peruse their album covers, the definite article is usually used. (The Stones are a bit inconsistent in this regard, though.) Still, the article is accepted as part of their names.

Some do not:

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Led Zeppelin
Creedence Clearwater Revival

I don’t see anything wrong with typing out “I met The Beatles,” or “I met the Beatles.” Either way seems grammatically correct to me although they imply slightly different meanings; in the first, I seem to be saying “I met the band known as The Beatles” and in the second I am saying “I met the gentlemen who are famous for being members of this band.” But either works.

My rule of thumb is this - if you could concevably drop the definite article, then it shouldn’t be capitalized. For instance:

“He’s a Beatle”

“She’s a New York Times reporter”

However, you would not say:

“He’s a Who”, unless you were talking to a Seussian denzian. Therefore, you’d capitalize the definite article in “The Who”

But that’s just beacause the beginning of sentances or of titles is always capitalized, no matter what.

Here’s what bothers me: When TV announcers say things like “Stay tuned for a new The Simpsons coming up next!”

“a new The”?

That just means they trademarked the word Beatles. The trademark on Beatles also protects the use of The Beatles, just as the trademark on Apple protects the use of Apple Corps. There’s no such thing as a band’s “legal name”.

As a point of interest, their respective first records billed them as:

The Pink Floyd
The Cream
Kinks

If it’s within the italicized or quoted part of the title, it should be capitalized.

But not, for example, in this case:

• This novel uses a Scanner Darkly style story arc.

And how many of you, who claim that “The Who” is the “formal” name of the band (whatever that menas), would say “I went to see a The Who concert”?

Names of sports teams are invariably preceded by “the”, but nobody ever claims the “the” is part of the team name, or capitalizes it.

Let the record show that the “the” in my user name shall not be capitalized, lest I be considered Pretentious.

Is this common? I’ve never heard this usage and, I agree, it really grates.

What if the New York Times itself considers its name to be “The New York Times” (see masthead)?

Doesn’t matter. It’s still not a The New York Times reporter. English trumps corporate bullshit.

No, I meant specifically, not the example article given, but the definite article used in their masthead: The New York Times Is it"I always read The New York Times," according to what they call themselves, or is it "I always read the New York Times based on the rule of thumb I quoted about definite articles.

I was basing my question both on the practice I’ve seen in The New Yorker magazine when referring to the NYT (and other “The” publications), and the AP Stylebook rule cited earlier, indicating you should go with what the publication calls itself.

I know it’s not “a The New York Times reporter” – that would be silly.