The trial of Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos)[sentenced to 11+ yrs, 18Nov2022]

IDK, he’s described as “heir to a chain of hotels”, but further googling indicates it’s 3 hotels or so, not 500. His net worth is supposedly $10 million - if that’s anywhere near accurate he’d have to bankrupt himself to get Trump even slightly interested.

ETA: They’re really, really nice hotels Evans Hotels Brand Portfolio | San Diego & La Jolla Resort Hotels but that’s still not going to get you to have enough disposable income to buy a pardon.

At least some of his pardons, I’m convinced, are being issued out of mere whim or impulsiveness. He might see a story about her on Fox News and just decide to do it.

Here’s the calculus - if she hurt a high profile someone with the Theranos debacle, and that someone said a mean thing about Trump, then he will favor pardoning her. If she said something nice about Trump, then that’s just the cherry on top.

Shortly before she went to jail, Holmes allowed Nathan Fielder to spend time with her and film. The film was a surprise drop at the Telluride Film Festival this week, and the trailer is really something (uncomforable).

You Can See Everything | Official Teaser HD | A24

I don’t know if this is something I want to watch.

I had watched that trailer earlier today. Kinda creepy, but just my opinion.

I’m sure I will lovehate it like all of Fielder’s stuff.

If I saw that with no explanation & didn’t recognize Holmes, I’d have assumed it’s a psychological horror movie. Or she unhinges her jaw and eats his head right after the trailer cuts off.

Ugh, I can’t imagine going to see this in theaters. I’d feel like I can’t escape. But I’ll stream this eventually for sure.

Elizabeth Holmes continues to show great insight into her crimes.

Very strange decision by Holmes to have Fielder make this movie. He’s not really the type of person who uses subject matter to make an accurate documentary. I would expect that he will assemble pieces of her life in whatever fashion he likes to make a movie that presents whatever he wants. I don’t think it will even be a movie about her. I expect it will be more of a commentary on some aspect of public life that just happens to use components of Holmes’ story to convey the message.

I plan on engaging with the movie as a human being.

Holmes said, in reaction to the portrayals of her, “they’re not playing me, they’re playing a character I created.”

She’s living the Trickster archetype. Always keep 'em guessing.

As a healthcare worker, I’m personally offended by her crimes and am loathe watch anything that might help her.

But fuck that trailer was creepy.

Why would she deceive us? There’s no reason for her to do that.

I’m not sure I’ve ever met someone face-to-face who is so skilled at presenting such lies. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve met people who were liars, some good ones too, but not to that degree. Or if I did, I didn’t spend enough time to notice the lies.

The reason is that her mind is wired that way; deception is her normal.

Kinda like certain politicians, there isn’t any border between truth and falsity. Every sentence is an opportunity to say what sounds best to you and so that’s what folks like that do. Their entire life is one continuous self-serving fabrication bearing only a passing resemblance to the truth.

Because they do not see the difference between truth and self-serving falsity, there’s no psychological cost to non-stop lying. Sharks never tire of swimming and the psychopath personality never tires of lying.

Well but then…

I’m not sure that’s quite the deflection she thinks it is.

I was having a little fun with Holmes’ statement from the clip for the movie. She’s an inveterate liar and I don’t expect that to ever change.

Your sarcasm / parody whooshed well over my trusting little head. :smile:

Events keep reminding me of that Claude Rains quote from Lawrence of Arabia:

A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.