The Ugliest Building in the World is Going up next to where I work

I don’t have a degree in architecture, I have no artistic talent yet even I can draw a box. And this guy is getting paid for it?

Drove in this morning and the damned Walls of Mordor are still there, as ugly as ever and visible from way down the street. With the giant cranes on both sides it looks particularly intimidating.

There’s a youtube creepy pasta in that somewhere, crane-body and wife looking into the basinet at their baby or something.

I sympathize, when they built the amazon warehouse here, they put it right next to the freeway. Totally totalitarian hideousness

It made me laugh to see a subreddit about “evil buildings”. I didn’t know other people used that term.
Now this is an evil building:

Actually, I kind of like that building.

Regular features, no squamous, scabrous, mottle-colored walls.

Nope. Nowhere near as evil as my building.

Regular features? It’s a Tower of Terror! A Cylinder of Sinister! Its nickname is “the Beer Can building”.

Pics or it didn’t happen, as they say.

The buildings that I have seen that are concrete (no color) and razor-thin windows are either jails or prisons.

It doesn’t bode well for the OP.

~VOW

Nahhh. This is gonna be a warehouse. Too ritzy a neighborhood for prisons.

And no razor-thin windows. Hardly any windows at all, in fact. If this was going to be a prison it’d be The Black Hole of Calcutta, giant economy size upgrade.

I had a contract job with an insurance company. They actually bought the land across from their building just to prevent another anonymous building to go up and block a rather nice view. I sure appreciated it. But now you know where your health insurance payments go.

Insurance companies have to invest the money they’re received in premiums, sometimes for years, before paying it out in claims. So buying an undeveloped property across from their office building might just be a wise investment.

I’m actually aware of this and consider the property a good investment for the company.

tastefully done windows, one has to reckon… :wink:

The University of Wisconsin has a couple of Brutalist buildings. Notably, the Humanities Building, with huge inclined planes on its sides. I remember back in the 70s, getting a running start and sprinting up those, and if I got a good enough head of steam, I could make it all the way up.

Thirty years later, my kid and his friends would “skate the shit outta that place”. His generation hated the “style” as much as mine did…

Oh, the lack of humanity!

This is the high school I went to. Open concept classrooms for the most part (that is, no back walls) and damn few windows. They have, thankfully, renamed it in the last few years. They’ve also apparently added huge windows, at least to the front of the building.

I think the architects wrote a secret message on the wall in Morse code

In this thread there was an ad for a “Easi-Set Modular Structure” that I first thought was part of the thread examples of ugly buildings, but turned out that the ad provider was matching the ads to the discussion

An entire university in Vancouver was done in Brutalist style by famed architect Arthur Erikson. Lots of sharp planes, exposed raw concrete and mind-numbing greyness.

It’s said that he also designed mental institutions, and wanted them to be “prisons of the mind” and to remind the inmates that they are confined, and that their very thoughts are not their own. Early educators knew that naive young students were full of silly things like “creativity” and “individuality”, so they were hoping that by putting them in this soul-sucking architecture, this would help stamp out these thoughts.

Well, not really, but it makes a good story that students pass along from generation to generation.

You mean this vision of loveliness (Simon Fraser University)?

There’s nothing wrong with Highway Overpass Style.

Indeed yes.

“How do we crush the souls of our idealistic youth?”

< Arthur Ericson puts up hand >