The Universities in your area and local employment?

I live in D/FW, and while there are people from all over, by far the largest contingent of out-of-state graduates are from Oklahoma, usually OU. In the Houston area, it seemed to be LSU.

In-state, Houston seems to have somewhat more Aggies than Dallas, Dallas has more Red Raiders, and Longhorns seem to be about equally distributed everywhere except Austin, which is chock full of them, since that’s where the school is located. The smaller schools seem to be more close to home- you’ll find more Sam Houston and University of Houston grads in Houston, just like you’ll find more A&M-Commerce and North Texas grads in D/FW.

I live in the Capital District region of upstate NY. I’ve worked in the chemical manufacturing industry up here for over 20 years…it seems the majority of the people I do and have worked here are both local to at least the region and to the local colleges/universities, Union College, RPI, UAlbany, St. Rose, Sienna, Russell Sage as well as the local community colleges…when I worked in Syracuse, everyone I worked with was either a product of SU, Lemoyne or SUNY ESF as well as some combination of both…I’m originally from Baltimore, and even though I went to school in Central NY, didn’t move back until about 12 years later, so I’m the exception in my experience…

I am in RTP area of NC. We have a lot of people from other states who came here for grad school and stayed for a job at various tech or biotech places. We also have a lot of transplants with degrees from all over the US. And we have locals who went to school here (UNC, Duke, NC State, and smaller schools) and also stayed here.

I live in Richmond, VA. Most of my colleagues hail from VCU, UVA, Virginia Tech, James Madison University, and Old Dominion U. There are just a few oddballs like me who are not orginally from VA and thus graduated from schools outside of the state. But I wouldn’t say we are rare.

Upper management is not dominated by Ivy League alums, as far as I know. But I certainly wouldn’t use that as evidence that Ivy League degrees don’t confer any advantage.

DC and the Northeast are full of Ivy league folks, especially Wall Street. I don’t think you can get the time of day from Wall Street firms if you are not from the Ivy league or a place like Stanford, Chicago, etc.

There are people from all over the place - top schools and not top schools - on Wall Street. The Ivies are great (I went to one) but they’re relatively small and the demand for good people transcends school the name on the diploma. There are plenty of people from the Ivy League on Wall Street, but not going to an Ivy isn’t an obstacle to working there.

The B-school you went to probably has a much higher impact on getting a jump start on your career. But once you’re employed it’s your bottom line that is the bottom line.

Supreme court is a big example of college/law degree matters. They are almost all Ivy with a few Stanford and Chicago alums. When Bush the younger nominated a SMU law grad for the SC people were surprised. She pulled her name out of the running for reasons other than her alma mater - she did not get much support from Senators.

It’s only about 100 miles from Manhattan to KC.

Just sayin’

As an engineer, it’s been my experience that my coworkers have gone to lots of schools in lots of places. When I worked in Jacksonville, FL, there were a number who’d gone to UF or Florida State, but there were also a lot of us who’d gone to a variety of other schools.

Similar situation when I worked in Virginia and here in MD. Then again, it is the sort of profession that doesn’t crop up in every community - not like doctors or teachers or accountants - so you go where the jobs are, regardless of where you studied.

In my daughter’s sorority at LSU there was an exorbitant amount of girls from Houston. I asked about it and she said that according to them, out-of-state tuition at LSU was still cheaper than in-state tuition at UT or A&M.

I would guess it’s not a tuition thing, but an admissions thing; the Texas legislature passed a law some 20 years ago which grants automatic admission to the top 10% of graduating seniors in the state (as measured by class rank). The net effect of this is that a lot of students who would otherwise have gone to A&M or UT in the 80s or 90s now end up having to go elsewhere, and LSU looks a lot more attractive to a lot of people than Tech or Sam Houston.